What's the secret about B.Rana?

wow haha. Tonight at 10: When your acts betray your opinions.

Seriously a good mushroom trip or cannabis brownie would quickly resolve that conflict. Otherwise it might take many years.

maybe zum1 up her CLITCOMP zemi-final zheeyatzu wiz da Brothah 23 n da PLATE Nutzmazhah

maybe

da NOR wud noe her zecret 8)

I can tell you her secret 8)

Personally, I didn’t listen a lot of Rana’s recordings, only here and there. It was fantastic what she did at Cliburn in such a young age. Her trailer.for Goldberg variations sounds interesting. But have to admit that I don’t like at all her Widmung from few months ago from Grammophone awards. For me it sound like trying-to-be young Argerich but not succesful.

Anyway, she’s playing in June in Zagreb Prokofiev Third Concerto which I will try to go and record.

Btw. Vinnitskaya just played Shostalovich 1st here but I couldn’t go, unfortunately. People told me it was nothing fabulous…

Randomly, does anyone have any Rana recital recs they’d care to share with me? I just realised that apart from her competition stuff I haven’t heard anything from before this season. I really like this chick, her tech is like YW level (compare her toccata from pour le piano to YW, it’s probably even more impressive technically). How famous is she these days? It’s hard for me to tell.

Unfortunately I don’t have any recital program but I will share next week her Prokofiev PC 3 from Zagreb, this June. (Btw. I owe you Filipec’s Liszt double CD, my ripping system on computer is not working as it should be, but I will find the way to re-rip original CD). So, Rana was fantastic in Zagreb. Honestly I didn’t expected to be that good, because sometimes she seemed to my beeing little bit cold. For example, I didn’t like her recent Widmung video. But this was furious performance, full of beauty. 8It’s impressive with how much eassines she can play the most demanding passages. I’m glad you compared her technique with Yuja’s - I think you are right. Both of them are playing without affection and mannerism, which I like. She gave Gigue from Bach’s 1st Partita as an encore - it was sparkling, charming and full of life. She seems to me as a musician who really ennjoys in what she is doing.

Her newest recording is going to be Bernstein’s Symphony no. 2, “The Age of Anxiety” with Pappano:

https://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/classical/products/8463457–bernstein-the-3-symphonies-casebound-deluxe

I would say that her carear goes in a good direction…

Oh yeah, I saw that announcement! I actually don’t know that piece at all.

I don’t know it well, but I’ve heard it in Vienna in 2012 with Hamelin, and I like it. Zimerman also recorded it with Berlin Phil/Rattle and it will be published soon. I should listen it more in this Bernstein’s 100th birthday anniversary.

2 Rana links below …

yadi.sk/d/RElDu8uq3ZfBt6
yadi.sk/d/TMag_C7A3ZfBu5

Thanks a lot!

I’m listening to this recital at the moment. It’s interesting; the way she played the Sinfonia goes against how I like it but somehow it still worked, and she got better as the work progressed. Just finished the Debussy, which was also very good. However, as is usually (always?) the case, the dynamics are not captured very well. For example, compare the crescendo swell at the climax of Toccata in this broadcast version with what I recorded at FLV in January. I doubt that she played it any differently, but the broadcast dynamics sound so flat in comparison. I would’ve liked to have heard her live in this programme.

Damn, this la valse :stop:
She really does have a fantastic mechanism. :doc:

It is a great shame about the compression. It bugs me a lot more than tape hiss for instance does. In the analogue era it was to extend the geographical range antennas could cover, and today it’s about saving bits for internet transfer instead. That (well made) audience recordings are free from it is one of the main reasons I tend to prefer them to broadcasts.

And yet pianists approve of these broadcasts but only tolerate audience recs. I wonder if they even hear themselves that it’s compressed? The same goes for video. That FLV recital is available on Medici but doesn’t sound like what I captured. And still, Rana put the Toccata on her youtube channel!