Who are your Favourite Composers?

Hahah ma french compoza rankin da exact oppozite to yo azz :whale:

Poulenc I love more than Debussy and Ravel. A lot of it is due to his chamber works.

1 Like

I semi agree with this though. Chopin’s the most consistent miniaturist there is.

Larger works are incredible to me, but a bit ‘bitty’ and not as integral as Beethoven for eg.

And this piece in particular is good in parts but shows Chopin at possibly his weakest :whale:

1 Like

Haha iznt da GODO in da zepp top 10 alzo?

Pozzbly even outrankin da BROTHA :sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha if u aint ‘ultra into’ da THALBERG den who da fuck iz? :whale:

In ma mind u iz hiz biggezt champion :doc:

1 Like

I think da NICKELODEON is his biggest champion tbf. Big difference in quality between da burglah’z trannies and original works.

dunno if i ever commented on this, assume we’re talking about composers before the present day… i really listen to mostly new music nowadays

anyways my top tier:

-Scriabin
-Bruckner

close second tier:
-Rimsky
-Schubert
-Machaut
-Byrd
-Debussy
-Stravinsky

… and after that just basically a list of da usual suzpects

2 Likes

That’s a pretty odd duo together!

2 Likes

Hmm yeah it might seem like an odd pairing, but I definitely think there are really some big similarities that draw me to both composers equally, even though the sound of their music is so different

2 Likes

Schumann.

1 Like

Favorite all-around composers:
Bach
Medtner
Liszt

Favorite orchestral composers:
Tchaikovsky
Wagner
Verdi

Favorite piano composers:
Chopin
Alkan
Scriabin
Rachmaninoff
Liapunov
Godowsky
Bortkiewicz

Favorite guitar composer:
Barrios Mangoré

4 Likes

I love Barrios, too…what about Leo Brouwer, have you played him?

2 Likes

I’ve played some of his etudes simples. While I like Leo Brouwer and generally modern composers, the music that connects to me most is late romantic. Most guitar composers, what few exist, are not to my taste, since the early composers (Sor, Aguado) tried to do a Mozart imitation on guitar and the later composers like Brouwer, or even Villa-Lobos, are much more modern in their sound (and their music generally sounds more suited to piano than guitar to me). For me Barrios hits the sweet spot between these, sometimes sounding like Chopin. Other composers which sound “romantic” I like are Llobet and Kaspar Mertz.

4 Likes

First few phrase statements of this genius make me love guitar forever but I dun know much about it’s rep. His Spanish classics album all legendary too.

2 Likes

Yeah, Julian Bream is a legend, very poetic playing.

2 Likes

I go through obssessive phases although no one atm.
At one point was Schumann and Ravel, add Haydn and Prokofiev.
Can always listen to zart, :nigga:, sherbert.

3 Likes

Yo next obzezzive phaze vil be da

Medtner :sunglasses:

2 Likes

@lv what about Castelnuovo-Tedesco for guitar? I’played orchestral part of his First concerto, it’s great, very cool piece. He has interesting Fantasia for guitar and piano as well.

And Rodrigo? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think 20th century guitar muzik can be really great and if u bear in mind da way guitar iz tuned…itz inherently idiomatic to haf mo ‘pleazing’ tonal zoundz

Naxoz zeemz to haf a lot of interezting guitar cdz and recitalz - lyk diz one -

SL1200

1 Like

Hahaha rezpec da DOC fo finally reccin zum THAL

da :doc: needed prax tym to reach FEZTIN arpz zpeed :sunglasses:

1 Like