Da HARDEZT BarCock Cuncerto

#2 is the superior composition, but #1 is probably my favorite because it is wonderfully uncouth.

Favorites:
#1: Pollini, KZ
#2: Richter, Pollini, Weissenberg
#3: Argerich, Kovacevich
complete set: Kocsis

1 Like

Didn’t he write it for his wife to play (to earn money) after he’d died? Hence it’s not as difficult as the other two which he wrote for himself.

All of them sound shit

1 Like

I wish. I’d be a penizt. And invent da arpz orgy :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hahaha diz inztrumental combo a bit wikid zoundin :sunglasses:

The best part of this the tink-retarded cat meow used in the shining.

Wait this diff Bar talk concerto I think of hmmm my brain is flaccid : (

Back in 2010, I think? She came to play with the Cincinnati Symphony and my friend and I turned one perf each. All she told me afterwards was, “Not bad.”

1 Like

Hah. Yes 2010-10-16, with Carlos Kalmar - a friend’s got it.

She’s far and away my favourite pianist in the work, but not until she took it up for the second time in 2013. I really like her in the 3rd concerto as well, she turned it in to something more exciting than what you get from other pianists, but I think that’s a concerto which has been played at a higher level than the 2nd has by other pianists so there is stiffer competition.

1 Like

Oh wow! I’m kind of curious how it sounded because from my perspective, I remember thinking, “She definitely sounds better on YouTube…”

I haven’t heard her in Bartok 3, but the work itself has a lot of potential to be beautiful and pretty damn exciting! I’d love to play all of them, but the likelihood of playing with orchestra is so close to zero :joy::joy::joy:

If you’d like to hear her in the 3rd I caught a good performance myself a few years ago I can send if you like. Drop me a PM with your e-mail address in that case and I’ll try to get to it over the weekend. For calm & beauty I’d turn to other pianists, I remember her reading as exciting and life infusing, but personally I liked that approach possibly even better. I think it easily becomes inconsequential or even boring the way it’s usually played unless there’s a really good musician at the piano.

Yeah I couldn’t even warm up to her youtube videos in 2010. But it’s an incredibly difficult piece, it’s no surprise she was more at home in it three years later.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve read that, too. It’s definitely not as hard to play as the other ones - No. 2 especially is a killer.
Some years ago I dedicated a short blogpost to Bartok’s own performance of No. 2:
https://pianoetcetera.blogspot.com/search/label/Béla%20Bartók

Another overlooked named is Gyorgy Sandor (on VOX). He’s probably the most authoritative performer because he worked closely with the composer.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gyorgy-Sandor-plays-Bartók-Béla/dp/B000001KC2

1 Like

I know tiz difficult to discuss matterz of taste, but… enjoying random PROK cuncertos and sonatas and then dizmizzing Bartok masterpieces like diz is juz… a bit WTF, I don’t get it. :lib: :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

4 Likes

Da Prok still got a genzui classical harmonic sense.

Da mofo almost single-handedly made da closely spaced classical-era chords MOFO again, aftah mo den 100 years of widely spaced romandick harmonies

Da barcock juz absolutely not my cup of tea.

Well maybe you need sum more time & effort to get into da Bart. Lots of Romantic-classical influences in Bartok too, esp. the earlier works. Don’t forget he studied piano with a Liszt pupil (István Thomán).

1 Like

Daaaaaaaayuuuuummmmm I read that as " if you’d like to hear ME in the 3rd" so i withdrew my like :zenzei:

Also how da fark did I not know about a rec of him playing! That sheeyat on datube?

ahahahaha daiiiiiiim da PRICK 2 & 3 clearly on a different level of GENSUI tru :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Scrib > Prick > Rock > Medtner > Barcock

Liszt > Schumann > Chopin

:fist: :eggplant: :tm: :champagne: > :hui: > :princess: > :fox_face: > :man:

1 Like

Hahaha it’s like a reverse music minus one, thought the trumpet player just mizzed his entry.

It’s surprisingly light on its feet, sort of a rustic spirited energy. Like so far!

1 Like

I used to know a old lady in alazka who knew bartok back in da day. Zhe apparently new kapell too, called him Willy :wood:

4 Likes