DASDC Recording Recommendation thread

For the Barcarolle I vastly prefer the 1939 and 1941 Moiseiwitsch version.
I’ll probably learn that moistfest at some point and pair with da PIMP BENEDICKTION

Aside from those horrendous Scriabin Museum recs I honestly don’t recall anything directly bad from him, he’s just invisible to me. Completely neutral, transparent. I hear what he’s doing, but whatever cogs are needed to swing in to gear with him are missing from my machinery.

I do agree he has some things which rises well above sea level however. It’s a shame he died so young, from memory anyway my favourite recordings are all from his last few years in life. If the Scriabin recital is my favourite live recording that Barcarolle session is definitely my favourite studio session.

It pays off in his kind of unrivalled Chopin mazurkas. His sense of rhythm was whack in a good way. My favourite recs are the Chopin / Schumann / Scriabin recitals released by Denon. I think the Chopin was from '49 (mostly), but the other two from '59 / '60. He lived 60 years BTW.

He has many wonderful Mazurka recordings, esp the 30’s n 40’s recs

The later 50’s and 1960 recs are mostly marred by the close mic n metallic sounding 88s

Daim rezpec diz zubzequent debate!

Okay anotha piece I iz explorin recz fo -

Berg zonata op1

Alban Berg was born in Vienna , Austria on February 9, 1885 .

Haha precizely 1 century to da day befo ma azz, rezpec diz!

We have opposite taste in this. I just don’t get into his early recordings. If he died in 1945 say, I wouldn’t be into him much.

Really? His earlier stuff is super-refined and not splashy at all.

I pretty much like all the recs up to 1946 or so, including the studio Scriabin 3rd son

1 Like

I feel the same way.

Are any of his recordings in genuine stereo? I know a Denon album claims to be, but I never listened for it.

I recall one Denon release added stereo to something, but I don’t have the details.

Stereo does not do much for piano, to be honest

I don’t disagree, but I’d be interested in what @xsdc thinks about this

1 Like

Altho, stereo probably way better for binaural HALL recs

Da most pleasant sounding 88 recs I noe is da 30’s-50’s Abbey Road studio recs, n dey is all mono

2 Likes

…what Mikhail said.

I think it depends on recording and playback gear. You always wish recordings you like were in as good sound as possible, and a well made stereo recording over a good sound system gives you an ambience and sense of presence mono doesn’t have. If you close your eyes you are there. With a typical 1960 studio recording through the computer speakers however I’m not sure I’d be able to reliably tell if it’s mono or stereo.

1 Like

For Carnaval, I’d recommend two ladies:

Gimme a few weeks :fuckkk::zepp:

3 Likes

AHAHA diz nu cumbo zignifyin “zpeed learn den zpeed rape” icic :sunglasses:

1 Like

Randomly i ztill think da MIKEY zhud give da zouthern hemizphere premiere of da TRUMOFO ztrauzz zalome orgy dance :gav:

2 Likes

Didn’t I already?
:tm:

2 Likes

Hahah

Da WORLDWIDE premiere will be by da TM himzelf

Aftah which, anyone is welcome to get da sheeyats n rape

1 Like

You ever get that unpublished rosenthal sheet from Rachlin archive? Maybe Festin’s cd guys publish a tranny disc with this? I want to hear it at least!! Comps can wait lol

1 Like