Editions

I think Henle now try and have a musicologist as an editor, and a concert performer to finger the editions. Certainly this is the case of the edition I mentioned previously (Schiff).

Nobody is arguing that buying an edition for its fingerings unconditionally and irrevocably binds you to following its suggestions - however outlandish - unquestioningly. If a fingering doesn’t work for you, discard it; but the whole point is that good fingering suggestions usually will work for you. Take Godowsky’s fingerings for the original works of other composers (some are available at IMSLP → Godowsky → Revised Editions); they are absolutely masterful. They should be studied by all pianists, whether studying the works in question or not.

To illustrate my point: take Beethoven’s Pathetique Sonata, something most of us will have played. I have uploaded Godowsky’s edition here. Can anybody here honestly claim that there is nothing to be gained from studying these fingerings? Is there a reason why all pianists studying the Pathetique should not be instructed to study this edition?

(Full disclosure: I don’t follow Godowsky’s fingerings in every case. However, I always find them absolutely invaluable, and always give them serious consideration.)

1 Like

Hahaha, I haaaaaaate that so much.

I got Koenemann for Beethoven & Mozart Sonatas, worst edition evah…never stays open and there’s just plain notes without any information or suggestions (fingering, etc)

Got a few Henle (Bach WTC, Chopin Ballades, Chopin Mazurkas, …) and they’re quite decent.
My most favourite is “Edition Peters”. Nicely looking, stays open after being used, and the notes are just so nicely readable if you know what I mean.

That Godowsky edition looked absolutely brilliant, gonna check out his other stuff as well. Thanks!

I have been working on some classical sonatas lately, from Associated Board editions - Clementi and Mozart. Most of the technical difficulties I encountered stemmed from the suggested fingering. They were often awkward, using weak finger combinations and unnecessary lateral movement of the fingers.

With very little effort I found a much simpler solution which removed the weaknesses.

I was looking at Hans von Bulow’s fingering of a Beethoven sonata today. I think I will consult him in the future.

cool ztory bro :gav:

1 Like

hahaha :rob:

anyone know of a good edition of da rockets?

pozz zhirmah :gav:

Dover has all of 'em in the same edition with the complete Preludes.

That’s a kinda poor edition (I have it myself), the Etudes are full of mistakes, I believe the better edition was the Boosey and Hawkes, but I’m not 100% sure.

Tru, boosey and hawkes is ownage, that’s what I use. One of the not many editions which actually have firm books that don’t tear down after a couple months use.

yeah, tru, ive used boosey for orchestral scores for a while, but their piano books are top notch as well. they can be damn expensive, though. worth it for some things, though.

their prok2 score cost me a pretty penny :frowning:

Da BEZ CHopetz edition da CORPZE?

If you’re a fan of his florid prose.

Da Ekier Edition nowadays. a lot of details on his constant rewrites.

Roy Howat ia also preparing a new edition of da ChopEts for Peters which also includes the rewrites in the score I think he said and a lot of corrections including some blatant accidentals in da 10/3 which sound way better.

1 Like

Many of these preliminary exercises completely useless IMO…just practise the damn Etude. Also, I don’t like his fingerings and pedaling for da most part.

His would be good. I like his Debussy editions, although I left them in Oz. I may need to buy another copy.

Tru.
Trying to solve a problem in an abstract mechanical sense juz a complete waste of tym

1 Like