Etude Magazine Interviews

Cool resource

https://etudemagazine.com/etude/interviews/

4 Likes

Don’t tell Wim about this one… M Rosenthal

“If Liszt should return to us now he would be not only surprised, but also delighted with the tremendous advance in musical art—particularly in piano playing. He would be amazed at the great number of virtuosos. He would be fascinated by their musicianly tone and he would be astonished at the tempo with which certain of his compositions are ordinarily played in our concert halls.

“Take, for instance, Liszt’s own Don Juan Fantasie, considered by some to be among the most difficult compositions ever written for the piano. In the Champagne Song it was the custom to play much slower than the air is sung upon the stage. When I was twenty-two years old I played this for Liszt and he marveled at my speed. If I should play it to-day at the same speed as I played it then, people would think me to be very cautious—perhaps losing my powers.

5 Likes

This is hella dope :fire: many thanks!!!

Brilliant - that quote from Rosenthal about speed is the one I’ve been trying to source for about a year! Thanks mofo!

dayum :zepp:

4 Likes

guezz da pianizt quote :sunglasses:

The Bohemians, Hungarians, Poles and the Russians seem to have an instinctive sense of rhythm. The Americans seem to fail in it. It puts me to my wits’ ends to know how to develop this sense of rhythm

Hand expander… !?

Why these ads give me a boner?

Also I know da quote - that whole article filled with good shit.

1 Like

1 Like

Du fukken Kurzheeeyat hand expandah. Wher 2 buy?

1 Like