New repertoire/programs of living pianists

I like moog, mainly because his name is already an SDC nickname…

If only Moog would play on a Moog.

1 Like

Dohnanyi 2nd PC’s main theme reminds me of Morricone except even more epic, one of my favourite tunes.

Kholodenko is playing cool program in July:

MOZART - Fantasia in C Minor, K. 475
BEETHOVEN - Bagatelles, Op. 126
BEETHOVEN - Rondo a capriccio, Op. 129
GODOVSKY - Studies on Chopin Etudes
TCHAIKOVSKY - Piano Sonata in C-Sharp Minor, Op. posth. 80

https://www.kaufmanmusiccenter.org/mch/event/international-keyboard-institute-and-festival-vadym-kholodenko/

Vienna’s Konzerthaus announced their new season.

Here are two main piano cycles (Lang Lang is coming back with Goldbergs):

Klavier im Großen Saal
https://konzerthaus.at/abonnement/id/2657

Klavier im Mozart-Saal
https://konzerthaus.at/abonnement/id/2645#ev57261

:hushed:……………………… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Oh man. I wonder if Wang’s program will last. Right now she has all 12 of Debussy’s Etudes announced there. Also looking forward to the specifics of Volodos’ Liszt program, but I suppose he’ll likely return to previously played music.

I knew you will liked her new program :slight_smile: I also hope that Debussy Etudes will remain, but with her you never know…

Matusev really has no wish to learn new stuff… Have to admit that I don’t understand the fact that you have big carear, can play big things and you don’t have an interest to learn some works you always wanted to play…

1 Like

No she’s always used placeholders in the past, but the last few seasons she has actually kept her word from the initial announcement.

I hope… I do like the Preludes better, but while the Preludes are maybe over-played I think the Etudes are very much under-played. Several of them are really good, and you practically never see the entire set programmed.

1 Like

I agree. Plus it would be great to have recording of complete Etudes from pianist of that calibre like Wang.

Also interesting concert is Angelich and Wiener Symphoniker. They will play the same program as on the Beethoven Akademie 1808 (Pastoral Symphony, PC 4&5, Choral fantasy etc.)

https://konzerthaus.at/abonnement/id/2627#ev56996

Yes I think this can be really good. She wouldn’t have the stability I’d like in some of them, but she would have both the dexterity, acuteness and tonal palette.

One of my longest standing wishes is for Sokolov to program one of the books of Preludes too, but I think it’s safe to say his programs will continue about as they have been until the end now, with few if any excursions past late Brahms.

Yeah the Debussy Etudes are great. Also: while the Debussy and Rach preludes are more often played than the Deb+Rach ets, I like the ets more (nothing against the preludes though)

Wow!!!

Yuja wiz both books of Debussy Ets?!

Rezpek diz

musicology.cn

Yeah, I’m still waiting for her Iberia…
Volodos’s Liszt is already listed, unless you think that’s also a placeholder?

It is? The page Kreso links just says Kreisleriana and works by Schubert and Liszt.

This?

Liszt
Ballade nr. 2 S.171
Wiegenlied – Chant du Berceau S.198
St. François d’Assise: La prédiccation aux oiseaux (Légende n. 1 S.175/1)
”Pensée des Morts” (Harmonies Poétiques et Religieuses)

Schumann Kreisleriana op. 16

Oh, yesyesyes. I saw those for a concert later this year. I suppose he’ll keep playing them until June.

Salzburg Festspiele just abbounced it’s 2020 jubilee program. Among them, Trifonov is doing Beethoven PC 3 (for the first time) and interesting (not new) Volodos program.

30 August 2020

LUDWIG VAN BEETHOVEN
Concerto for piano and orchestra No. 3 in C minor, Op. 37

JOSEF SUK
Symphony in C minor, Op. 27 — ‘Asrael’

Daniil Trifonov Piano
Berliner Philharmoniker
Kirill Petrenko Conductor

Arcadi Volodos

01 August 2020

FRANZ LISZT
Sonetto del Petrarca No. 123 from Années de pèlerinage II (Italie)
La lugubre gondola II
Saint François d’Assise – La Prédication aux oiseaux from Légendes
Ballade No. 2 in B minor

ROBERT SCHUMANN

‘Marsch’ from Bunte Blätter, Op. 99/11
‘Abendmusik’ from Bunte Blätter, Op. 99/12
Humoreske in B flat major, Op. 20

Tony’s wait is finally over. Wang has announced her spring program now:

Frédéric Chopin Barcarolle in F sharp major for piano
Johann Sebastian Bach Toccata in c minor for keyboard BWV 911
Alban Berg Piano Sonata op 1
Richard Wagner Isoldes Liebestod aus Tristan und Isolde, version for piano arr Franz Liszt

Intermission

Isaac Albéniz El Albaicín from Iberia, Book III for piano
Isaac Albéniz Málaga from Ibera, Book IV for piano
Frédéric Chopin Mazurka in b minor for piano op 33 No. 4
Frédéric Chopin Polonaise-Fantasy in A flat major for piano op 61
Aleksandr Skryabin Piano Sonata No. 5

I really don’t know how I feel about it. First I regret that the Bach/Schönberg/Debussy program she’s kept as placeholder has now been obliterated in customary fashion, but secondly I wonder to what degree this program will play to her strengths. I’m delighted about the Scriabin-5, will sharpen my ears for Berg and it will be interesting to hear her in untranscribed Bach, but I’m rather more suspicious about the Liebestod and Chopin pieces. I have enjoyed her 2nd Sonata, and also 1st Impromptu, but her Preludes in 2017 was romanticising with the music to a degree which went beyond my taste.

1 Like