Rubinstein unleash da RAV ondine

da prog

“Very rare recording”…well not anymore now that it’s on YT.
I’d never thought da Ruby would have had sufficient technique to play this, but apparently he had (though he didn’t play Scarbo, and the Petrushka was very much simplified)…some strange misreads in it… @mikey I wonder how you like it.

I wonder if the source of this recording is aware that we’re looking for a Hofmann recording from the same provenance.

4 Likes

Ahahahah fuckkkk da PEARMOFO harzhnezz :whale:

Da RUBY actually a very naturally gifted mofo. Zhorly he wud haff maztahd da ONDINE quazi-zpazz mvmtz inztinctually :sunglasses:

1 Like

there is a dude on youtube that has posted just about every argerich teatro colon perf. Wonder if he’s wired into an archive somehow…

:dong:

No, I really love Rubinstein’s surviving rectalz! :sweat_smile:
Great mu*ical authority and stage prezenze.
But tiz a well-known fact that he wasn’t an outstanding technician, he often simplified things. I’m impressed by the naturalnezz of diz Ondine indeed.

1 Like

I will take a lizten whe I’m not to my arse learning 300 pages for 2 weeks time…

Zumone told me da ruby’s (ribticklah?) Petroushka was hardah dan da Stravinsky, and dats why he made his own. But that don’t sound right to me.

2 Likes

It’s certainly poetic and zeductive. Can’t hear shit with the zurface noize in terms of technical accuracy. Pozz lacking zum fury in da climax and da coda but that could very much be the recording.
I actually haven’t heard much of him outside Chopin and :nigga: 3 - it doesn’t seem to have that aristocratic poise I was expecting which is fine coz I don’t think it needs it.

2 Likes

It’s actually sync problems from a badly deteriorated CD-R.

I’m suspicious against this. Not saying it isn’t him (yet), but this comes from a source who hasn’t thought twice about faking things in the past if he finds it useful for his trades.

2 Likes

Rezpek da ruby’z pragmatic lifestyle approach “prax or bone hoez?”, da lattah invariably da winnah.

2 Likes

I find it strange that so many composers in the early 20th century wrote extremely difficult music for Rubinsten or with Rubinstein in their mind (Petrouchka, Rudepoema, Albeniz Iberia? and even some Godowsky), when he, on a purely technical level, was a bit behind as compared with his contemporaries.

They tried to break him :sunglasses:

2:10 sounds as if he plays g# minah, not g# majah?

Ruby was flamboyant and popular, and in the 1920s he played a lot of contemporary music. He knew many of those composers personally so it was for them also a good opportunity to be heard via Rubinstein. There were lots of pieces dedicated to him, some very difficult, others not so difficult. For example Mazurkas of Szymanowski, Fantasia Baetica of De Falla, Stravinsky’s Piano Rag music, Poulenc’s Promenades, Milhaud Ipanema etc.

His interest in new music decreased as he approached middle age when he was more and more in demand and gave many concerts each year, with more conservative rep. choices.

1 Like

True. I’ll check ma zcore notes; pozz an edition fuck up, or Ruby fake rudy but sort of cuntinues through the passage so dun think so.

Datz rite