Yo first rec and has it been surpassed?

I think general cunsensus is people tend to have a soft spot for the first rec they heard of a piece despite whether it’s good or not. So what was da first rec you heard of whatever zong and of interest, has it been surpassed?

1 Like

I think most of my firsts have been surpassed, at least in standard rep. Except maybe Rubinstein’s mazurkas (first set), which I was listening to last night and still love. Rachmaninoff’s recording of his first concerto (also the first historic recording I ever heard).

Firzt rec fo every ztandard rep zheeyat -

Clazzical archivez maeztro MIDI

Have dey been zurpazzed?

No :sunglasses: :zepp:

:chop: 25/12

surpassed by :comme:

I can hardly remember who I’ve got playing standard sheeyat, I hardly ever listen to it, especially stuff that I’ve played.

:pimp: 1st Cuncerto - :rectum: was first rec which I haven’t heard for ages but I was seriously blown away by the Clitburnah.
:pimp: TE’s was Ponti. Pretty sure most are better than that.
:chop: Etudes - Magaloff. Pretty sure most are also better than that.
:nigga: cuncerto was Ax. I’m pretty sure that’s been superseded but by who II have no idea.

1 Like

That’s interesting. I still enjoy listening to recordings of almost all the pieces I’ve played, except for the couple of pieces I’ve grown to dislike, e.g. Tempest sonata, Appassionata (to a lesser extent), and Vallée d’Obermann.

Idil Biret was my first exposure to most Chopin and suffice to say; she’s still my favourite

In an alternate univerze where I never liztened to otha recz :gav:

1 Like

I still remembah - when I wuz a mini-Pianopear (long b4 da digital age) there wuz a radio broadcast, a seriez dedicated to da historic 88 recs, of da :rocky: playing his own songz. Needlezz to say, I still think they’re unsurpassed. In da same show I heard père et fils Neuhaus playing short songz of Scrib - and 2 dis day dey still belong to my fav Scrib performers.

1 Like

I wouldn’t choose to listen to stuff I’ve played. Live in recital is a different story.
(I always thought Tempest overrated anyway)

This is a mantra which has only held true over short time scales for me (<5yrs). Hamelin was my introduction to the Scriabin sonatas for instance which I thought were surely the best ever after I had bought them, and as I moved away from them they stayed in my memory as this unsurpassed reference recording. When I returned to them a few years ago however, it was a bit :neutral_face:. I had changed and grown, had my horizons widened and perspectives alternated, but the recordings had stayed where I was in my late teens.

It still is the case however that if you’ve formed a view of a piece - through a recording or by playing it yourself (which invariably alters my view as well, recordings I like when I start I typically no longer like when I finish) - it does take some time and persistence to change that view. Sokolov is my typical example, I don’t know how many times I’ve sat like a big question mark at his recitals since what he does is often so different to what I’m used to, only to completely change side after I’ve lived with his reading for a while.

Yes, I’ve had that experience with David Fray and Lucas Debargue. It hasn’t happened with Sokolov though, when I like his interpretations it’s immediate.

haha my mind has been so conditioned not to say song that I had to think what songs did Rachmaninoff record?

1 Like

Tru, I guess the more radical the approach, the longer it needs to crack. Sok and Pletnophile are certainly 2 radical artists.

I’m so fucked

First rec of
Shoe Carnaval: Rach
Chopson 2: Rach
Chopson 3: Lipatti
Rach Paganini n Rach 2: Rach
Pimp sonnet 104: Lipussy
Brahms Paganini: Mikey
Scrib 2 n 4: Feinberg

:blush:

These were the first recs you heard of the works?

1 Like

I think Rach’s Chopin Sonata 2 was also my first, and ABM’s Paganini variations (on EMI). My first Chopson 3 was Weisseberg’s disastrous 4th movement at CH, so that was an easy one to surpass.

My first Brahms was da complete Katchen so not a bad way to start.
First Rach 2 was Abbey Simon, no idea what it was like. The piece didn’t leave an impression at all but that may have been to do with my ritual of background music in the morning before school.

Randomly, I downloaded the 3rd movement of the Rach 2 first, and probably listened to it for 1 year before I finally heard the whole piece. It actually took me a few listens before I liked the first two movements.

My first Rach 2 was Eileen Joyce in the film Brief Encounter and I bought the LP soon after. A while after that I found the Richter/Kondrashin rec, and it was, um, a bit better :rectum:

Man!

Me and Comme have taken the manly route of Naxos to get to know repertoire. That we survived Biret and are still here is proof of our commitment. :pimp:

3 Likes

Yes… pure wtf right?

I’m one lucky dude