Schumann-Traumerei
Bizet/VH-Carmen Vari
Moszkowski Etude FM

There was also another tape ambiguously labeled as VH from “May, 1968”:

Beethoven PS28
Scarlatti and Chopin as above
Rach PS2 (this one complete)
Encores-Traumerei, Cho Waltz C#m, Mazurka FM, Carmen

His documentation was pretty good—inserted program pages, but made difficult for these 2 for since they were identical printed programs, both dates appear on printed program page.

Not sure I have your most recent VH research but old version I had suggests 19th above seems right (albeit incomplete) and the second grouping likely the 5/12 in view of this Rach complete and the Mazurka in the encores.

Haven’t compared the perfs yet to portions I already had of the recitals.

1 Like

That’s super cool. I never thought I’d see the master for these surface!

CBS recorded the May 12 recital, so with a bit of work it’s possible to determine what was recorded from which recital. My guess is that May 19 is correct however and that other tape is May 12, since Carmen was only played on May 12 and Moszkowski only on May 19.

The order certainly is odd though. I suppose he’s recopied these to new tapes at some point, unless they were recorded by a local friend of his.

Don’t worry about the order----I was in a hurry only to identify the pieces, didn’t take them in the order on the tapes. The printed order:

Beethoven PS28
Chopin-Barcarolle, Noct, Polonaise,
Scarlatti L23, 124, 118, 335
Rach PS2

1 Like

Horowitz plays a different mixing of the Rach 2 than he did in the later recs, pretty cool

I wish a recording of Richter’s CSO debut would surface…

Amazing that from Richter’s US debut tour in 1960, the only concerto recordings we have are his studio recordings and the BSO debut.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I would do anything for a rec of Brahms 2 live with Leinsdorf, Dvorak & Brahms 2 with Ormandy, and Liszt 2 & Tchaik 1 with Bernstein.

3 Likes

It’s pretty crazy that it does not exist. Wtf.

2 Likes