Argerich tonight on Medici

Reportedly being broadcast live on Medici tonight—from Carnegie Hall:

Orchestra dell’Accademia Nazionale di Santa Cecilia (Rome)
Sir Antonio Pappano, Music Director and Conductor
Martha Argerich, Piano

Program
VERDI Sinfonia from Aida
PROKOFIEV Piano Concerto No. 3
RESPIGHI Fountains of Rome
RESPIGHI Pines of Rome

Concert time 8PM in NY.

It’s also Pappano’s Carnegie Hall debut.
I heard him and the band do those Respighi when they did Tchaik 1 with YW and they were fantastic.

Did anyone watch? Thoughts?

All I can think of is how awful the acoustics in that hall are after the 80s for some reason…

Anybody know what happened?

They renovated the hall a few times since the 80’s, tru

Interestingly, the orchestra played the same encores as when I saw them in May.

It’s curious how Argerich and Freire haven’t lost any of their technique but Pollini has seen a significant decline in his once legendary mechanism.
I wonder why that is?

Also this orchestra is the only one I’ve ever seen that made an impression on me, I would see them again in a purely symphonic concert.
Btw, I reckon that the concertmaster (young, tall, spanish fellow) was banging Yuja on that tour. :pimp:

I wonder if Pollini smoking like a carton of cigarettes a day might have something to do with it.

Don’t know what the acoustics were like in the 80’s, but I can say that I don’t like the acoustics at the orchestra level.

I thought Argerich was great. And I agree, it’s amazing how her technique hasn’t noticeably dropped off.

I agree, she is still playing (even more) amazing. I’ve heard her three times in the last 10 years and every time it was some of the most memorable experience that I will remeber to the rest of my life. First time it was with Maisky in Zagreb, around 2009; then Beethoven 2nd with Barenboim in Berlin 2015 and this July in Ljubljana doing Shostakovich 1st and Carnival of the animals.

Speaking about Pollini, some people told me that even in the middle 90s his playing started to vary.

I passed on seeing her this season because it was only Ravel G major and some two piano stuff with Kovacevich.
If she’d played something more substantial like this Prok concerto I might’ve gone.

It’s funny about Pollini because here at least he is still as popular as ever, and even gets 5 star reviews!
I don’t know what’s wrong with people.