Auclert - 30 Exercices after Chopin (symmetrical inversion)

mediafire.com/?tr3ydv9dcuc

VERY interesting imo, takes technical passages from Chopin’s works, and writes them out symmetrically inverted for the left hand, and in diffirent keys. I’ve been working with symmetrical inversion (Ganz’ book) for the past 3 or 4 months, and imo it’s one of the best ways to study your left hand. SO check dat shid out tru

interesting; thanks

These exercises aren’t symetrically inverted, of course. Inverted, yes, but they don’t follow Ganz’ concept, so it could be argued they aren’t as usefull. He writes them to match tonally, making them pointlessly difficult. He’s simply exercising the figuration, rather than the exact same position on the keys. I think it would be a far better use of one’s time to do the whole set of Cortot exercises for the Etudes, which covers pretty much any figuration you will find in his work.

True, I posted this before trying them out, I was immensely dissapointed when I found out he makes them sound good, psh, so old-fashioned :slight_smile:. I work out most of the difficult passages I come to symmetrically inverted, SO useful. Cortot’s exercises are a bit out-dated and only concentrate on 1 way to execute certain technical passages, but it’s not difficult to ‘modernize’ them slightly.

juz doc-mirror everything u work on :doc:

Funny, I don’t find Cortot outdated at all. Fundaments don’t change. I’m aware of the controversy over the dotted rythmns, but I still find them useful, although not too close to the performance. Any of this is better than rote repetition, of course. What I mean by finding Cortot useful is the ideas of transposing the etudes, which Earl Wild also does. Symetrical inversion is great, and I have done several pieces that way - it’s phenomenal for the double thirds etude, btw. But it really doesn’t so much to solve specific right hand problems. I would still recommend the Cortot as the best entry for anyone attacking some of the etudes for the first time.

Problem is, Earl Wild transposes them for all the wrong reasons, however, as stated above, transposing is a very good way of learning to deal with things.

symmetrical inversion is fantastic.

I read somewhere that Hamelin does it a lot,

so I thought I might give it a try and ever since it’s been helping me with R-L H passages.

Its particularly nice when the left hand isn’t up to speed to invert it into the right hand to feel the sensations you get from your stronger/smarter hand.