Bezt Rach-Vocalize Tranz?

• Richardzon
  • Wild
  • Kockzix
  • Triffid

0 voters

2 Likes

Not for purists, but I’m entirely sold on the Kocsis. It really is a shame there is no live recording around of him playing it.

2 Likes

Hahah da Richardzon zeemz to be da moz modezt and zubtle

And da WILD iz fo zhor ma fav fo hiz PIMPd out to da max texturez

2 Likes

Hmm, tru da Wild does take it to :rocky: pianisdick detail (first time ive heard it actually) but its so far removed from the original. I played it with a zinger last week and it’s really quite haunting, I think my favourite setting. (And first time I’ve heard it with voice too)

2 Likes

Tru it dependz wut u iz in da mood fo

Zubtle, underztated and haunting.

Or blown up n melodramadick lyk da WILD

Tiz hard to pick a fav tranz becuz dey are interpretationz in demzelvez

1 Like

I like several of Wild’s other transcriptions (romantic though they may be), but this one is just too much for me. I think part of what makes the piece so touching is its simplicity, which Wild ruins by going essentially full Godowsky with it from what I recall.

To prezent a diztorted echo ov wut u zay…u hit da nail on da head dat da otha tranz’ follow da zimplicity n modezty ov da original, n mo authentic

But da WILD iz a bit lyk a Chop-God. Reinventin da work and I think it’z a valid alternative, it’z very fun, but agreed dat it izn’t az touchingly plaintive.

1 Like

Amazing

diz one might be my fav ov all hiz Rach zong tranz’

Gud playing on diz tribute dizc

2 Likes

Can’t zay i liked da Triff. Performance was plodding and da key drop completely loses da ethereal quality. I guess he wants a more masculine sound but doesn’t suit imo.

Da richardzon pozz

Wild is so far removed from my taste. Musically, pianistically, as a transcriber, it all rings false. I should relisten because it’s been 15 or so years, but I’d probably call his recording of the Chopin Nocturnes the single worst recording I’ve ever heard. He turned them into Disney bubblegum music. I know he has fans here and for sure he offers something worthwhile. Just to me it’s awful.

3 Likes

Not a fan of most of his playing.

The transcriptions are certainly interesting. Many things in them are features of Rachmaninoff’s own piano writing but he makes the mournful vocalise into a pianistic orgy.

1 Like

Unsurprisingly I’m very selective as well, but I did like the concerts he gave right towards the end of his career. This is from one of them for instance, not to your liking either?

2 Likes

I completely agree about Wild’s nocturnes set! Who on this planet could play these after Arrau, - randomly whose chopin I don’t usually like.

1 Like

Maybe I should make that Nocturne series after all :wink:

2 Likes

This true!

1 Like

Da TRIF X TENDED version!

Daim. Wikid

And daim diz insane POSTURE change

How about Gryaznov’s transcription?

1 Like

That was VERY good. Though I still found myself missing a few of the details from the Richardson trans.

For me, in terms of performance AND trans, it doesn’t get better than this:

5 Likes