Bill Evanz

Pozzibly da leazt dizcuzzd ‘legendary’ mofo on diz board :sunglasses:

I’m not a fan, I have liztened to a couple zheeyatz n not enjoyed but want to give him anotha go and azk u mofoz to link to wut u think iz hiz bezt work

2 Likes

I couldn’t get into his music. A bit too soft or subtle maybe.

Da only jazz mofo’z I zee mentioned are da Tatum, da Peterzon and da Mehldau zo wouldn’t zay he’z any lezz dizcuzzed than otherz.

absolute flippin legend…I love Tatum and Bud and Chick and Herbie and Keith and Brad. Bill is right up there. Always honest playing-never phones in. A monster that was hired by Miles when integration was a tad less popular, and those audiences that were booing weren’t listening. Hard swinger…deep harmonic content, a rhythmic monster…a masterful and underappreciated composer. A junkie that knew he had problems and still remained true to self at all times. Worth more than a rehearing or rediscovery.

4 Likes
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

I first heard him on a Tony Bennett record with alternate takes. Was impressive true improv when you compare alternate takes not Tatum style so respek to him and his insane harmonic brain

1 Like

Can zumone link a perf where he zhow zum truly INZANE TECH? :sunglasses:

Bill Evans is probably my favourite Jazz pianist of all time, but he really wasn’t a tech monster in any way… so if that’s what you’re after, look elsewhere. His genius was in his impressionist harmonies/voicings, effortless solos, and rhythmic variation. That, and no trio has ever been as in-sync as any of Evans’ main groups.

I’ve picked a few favourites for you:

SL1284
LINK [FLAC 300MB]

SL1353
LINK [FLAC 1GB]

51UqWbORakL
LINK [FLAC 650 MB]

LINK [FLAC 300 MB]

41HX3pVj%20vL
LINK [FLAC 2GB]

4 Likes

Rezpec! when I zearched fo hiz name on here I noticed you were a fan

I’ll give him a good lizten to try and learn wut da fuzz iz about.

I wuz intrigued when I zaw diz a while back alzo -

1 Like