da COMME educatez a mofo about da CHOP

da LUIZ explainz derez 2 differentz danze in poland da zad :peach: dance n da happy :eggplant: dance

alzo da LUIZ zay da X iz wrong n da 3rd beat iz da zrongezt :sunglasses:

1 Like

da LUIZ needs to go back to school :sunglasses:

1 Like

These are the two quotes I was thinking about.

Long first beat (Karl Halle)

A remarkable feature of his playing was the entire freedom with which he treated the rhythm, but which appeared so natural that for years it had never struck me. It must have been in 1845 or 1846 that I once ventured to observe to him that most of his Mazurkas (those dainty jewels), when played by himself, appeared to be written, not in 3-4, but in 4-4 time, the result of his dwelling so much longer on the first note in the bar. He denied it strenuously, until I made him play one of them and counted audibly four in the bar, which fitted perfectly. Then he laughed and explained that it was the national character of the dance which created the oddity. The more remarkable fact was that you received the impression of a 3-4 rhythm whilst listening to common time. Of course this was not the case with every mazurka, but with many.

Slurred third beat (Wilhelm von Lenz)

Meyerbeer had seated himself, Chopin let me play on. “That is two-four time” said Meyerbeer. For reply, Chopin made me repeat, and kept time by tapping loudly upon the instrument with his pencil; his eyes glowed. “Two-four” repeated Meyerbeer quietly. […] “It is three-four” almost screamed Chopin, and played it himself. He played it several times, counted aloud, and stamped the time with his foot - he was beside himself! It was of no use, Meyerbeer insisted it was two-four and they parted in ill humour. […]
…but Chopin was right. Though the third beat is slurred over, it no less exists, but I took good care not to press this point against the composer of Les Huguenots!

1 Like

I dun c la logic
if it zound lyk 4/4 (firzt quote) den da 3rd beat iz ztrong
if it zound lyk 2/4 (zecond quote) den da 3rd beat zound like a firzt beat zo da ztrongezt :lib:

1 Like

Forget da LUIZ.

4/4 since Chop lingered on 1. Halle counted | 1…(2)… 34| 1…(2)… 34|

2/4 since Chop also slurred over the 3rd beat. Meyerbeer counted | 1… … 2…( )… | 1… … 2…( )… |

DAYUM deze cuntflictin accuntz bazically tell uz

da CHOP 88 ztylee moz zimilah to da MALTEMPO :sunglasses:

5 Likes

hahahaa diz zound a bit extreme :sunglasses:

Why? If the 3rd beat is slurred, you only hear two distinct beats per bar. If the first of them is also lingered upon, I can easily see how you might mistake it for 2/4.

Remember, it’s not a machine playing - it’s da :chop:. When you’re listening it’s about finding the closest fit.

:sunglasses:

Ahhhhh…. di canzone Italiano il Mazurketto! :it: :partying_face:

Yeah. That’s 3/4 allright.

haha da :chop:) fuckin write out da accentz in every 3rd beat in da 68/2 I dun c how u can juz quazi-zuprezz diz beat :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Well… at least Fontana did.

Look, just go read up on Mazurkas. There’s no law stating the 3rd beat has to be the strongest, which is precisely why it needs to be indicated explicitly if you want it. Indeed I’d say part of the Mazurka character comes from that unpredictability. The eyewitness account we have specifically states that Chopin - in one part of one Mazurka - did just the opposite.

Yeah, I didn’t have to go any further than Op.68#1 to find a counter example. There the accents are scattered alternatingly between the 2nd and 3rd beats - and usually on the 2nd.

Where iz diz eyewitnezz account of da :chop:

Haha dere zeemz to be zum confuzo here about da MAZURKA rhythm

da confuzo iz about …which beat iz accented, n which iz longezt

Dey iz 2 different zheeyatz

hahaha diz legendary cumparizon

every old mofo haf deir own unique rhythmic ztylee

now mozt comp cunteztantz play dem lyk dey iz fuckin waltzez, wut da fuck

3 Likes

Alzo 1 zheeyat to bear in mind -

In da traditional dance - dancing wuz mozt important and da tune wudnt haf az much rubato fluctuationz

Whereaz in Chopin Mazurkaz dey iz beautiful winding melodiez and a big part of dem iz finding da balance of keepin da rhythm feel ov da mazurka pluz natural exprezzive rubato to emphazize phrazing ov da melodic line n harmonic n dynamic zhiftz
Deze wud be abzent from actual traditional mazurkaz which are much mo plain n folky

1 Like

tru tiz y polizh mofoz can’t play :chop: korrectly :sunglasses:

1 Like

Haha da ‘Branle’ da moz wikid French national dance? :sunglasses:

:nigga:

Alzo diz ztrange ‘s’ letter cropz up numerouz timez in da op. Da Comme’s mofo proof reading zumwhat improved.

2 Likes

deze are gud piecez, da GREEK n Bulgarian dancez haf zum inzane odd metahz

1 Like