Da feztin writez out an impro

I’m about halfway there on the full sheeyat (18m of it, eek).

My favourite section:

3 Likes

Wikid!

1 Like

I’ve done the writing out of a third of this:

Andrew Wright • Dies Irae Sonata: 1. Idyll - song by Andrew Wright | Spotify

All of this:

Andrew Wright • Dies Irae Sonata: 2. Funérailles - song by Andrew Wright | Spotify

None of this:

Andrew Wright • Dies Irae Sonata: 3. Intermezzo - song by Andrew Wright | Spotify

And all but 3 mins of this:

Andrew Wright • Dies Irae Sonata: 4. Orage - Spectres - Marche à l'enfer - song by Andrew Wright | Spotify

so 7 mins to go…
and, fuck, if only it hadn’t been recorded in my living room under lockdown conditions, because I think it is quite a coherent formal whole as an improvised sonata… but maybe one day I can rerecord the whole thing from the score in a concert hall. Of course it then stops being a impro… philosophical conundrum🤔

3 Likes

Finished the whole piece now.

An enormous amount of work notating this, but I think I’ll programme it if and when live perfs return…

3 Likes

I’d be happy to help you with engraving etc if you want! I’ve been doing a lot of that sort of work recently, and have gotten lots better at it.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll bear that in mind if I end up publishing it. I think the next stage will be for me to transfer it from being a realisation of an improvisation into what it would be be if it had been composed. What I mean by that is that I’ll edit places where there are little inconsistencies between bars in terms of rhythms and accompanimental figurations, and there are probably some places where I could re-express the score in a manner which makes more grammatical sense.

1 Like