Da HAMAMATSU 2018 šŸ‘ŗ

X, what do you think of the jury? Again I donā€™t know any names except da Virsaladzeā€¦

Yes that wasā€¦ Imagine that this guy can still play competitions in 2032 if he likes.

Kobrin and Ogawa feel familiar too. I havenā€™t heard Ogawa play, but I know a friend in Japan has recorded a lot with her so she might be good.

Canā€™t help smiling a bit at the engineers here. I think itā€™s really well recorded, but this sounds like omni capsules which theyā€™ve placed at the tail of the piano, angling them towards the hammers. Only forgetting that omnis have no directionality - they act like point sensors and what theyā€™re capturing is the sound where theyā€™re positioned. Which is fine in this case though, far lid gives a warm and harmonious character, but itā€™s not rare to see things like this.

And this sounds like a no pass.

1 Like

I like his tone, dynamics and colours in these Images. Technically not the greatest though.

what was that? :nopazz:

God I dislike those staccatos in the Bach :-1:

I canā€™t get the stream to play. Itā€™s windmilling.

Maybe better luck tomorrow when round 1 continues. And you can watch the streaming performances back at the site, which is a great service.

Itā€™s started working now, and the performance just finished. Damn.

Whoā€™s worth watching on replay from what youā€™ve seen today?

Edit: watching Smirnova. This is the level of playing I expect from an international piano competition. Even if musically, sheā€™s not really doing it for me and I really hate her haircut.

From my own recording, I quite like far lid in a good acoustic, and missing the lid in poorer acoustics.

There were 20 candidates today and I havenā€™t even heard half of them!
But I can give you the numbers of the candidates I found worthwhile: 67, 63 (the Ravel was really great), 73 (the Russian guy, for me the highlight today), 35. From yesterday I liked the Korean girl (no. 23), courageous of her to play Schumann Toccata with her small hands.

2 Likes

Iā€™m quite enjoying Smirnovaā€™s La Valse.
Edit: Damn, this chick can definitely play! I might spend the afternoon watching more of this.

1 Like

haha man any VALZE aftah da whale zoundz totally zheeyat :whale:

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve even heard him play this. :lib:

Of course! Da tape selection part of the Weimah pimp was rigged too

:whale: :whale2: :whale:

1 Like

Pianistically/technically, itā€™s fantastic! Definitely an SD version, although not exactly a valse.

The VOD isnā€™t listing todayā€™s participants. Iā€™ll have a further listen through yesterdayā€™s.