Da subjective / objective zheeyat

Zeeing as diz haz become a topic of debate, it lead to moi thinking iz there anything one can rank that is truly objective? Arts related zheeyatz are out as they is all gonna be perzonal (unless we iz ranking something like :zcholah: vs :rocky: )

Is it that people juzt like liztz?

2 Likes

Tiz a way to get an intellectual grazp on things and look at yo preferences n why.
But just like with effects of foods on health or health issues and their cauzes in general, tiz complicated sheeyat and often not 100% concretely measurable.

3 Likes

Tru.
So there is pretty much nothing that can purely objectively ranked?

2 Likes

obzerve how zuccezzful diz thread wuz

and den da objective cumpozaz one…dat wuz a zurprize

da BACH goldbergz objectively da greatezt 88 work ov all tym :dong:

1 Like

And itz technically not even an 88-work!

1 Like
2 Likes

It’s all about whether something can be measured.

It’s one of the enduring paradoxes of art that we can generally agree that Beethoven symphonies are better than Rebecca Black, but it’s incredibly difficult to explain why and not use loaded, subjective terminology in the process.

4 Likes

Indeed. Subjective lists are just about what we like or are fascinated by, but with objective lists you have to try to weigh, measure and count things. Best is some concoction, but really the best single parameter I can think of is how enduring the music is. Summer hits and the radio are super popular for a couple of months and then you never hear them again, but with composers like Bach, Beethoven etc who stay relevant and remain among the most esteemed composers to generation after generation after generation. There is something to that.

I don’t think an objective list is entirely out of reach however. I know one with Bach/Moz/LvB is sound for instance, while I know one with Diabelli, Hünten, and Behr is not. Problems emerge only when you try to make it excessively granular, or claim that this is The One List and any other is inferior to it.

Most of all however, I think this is about discussing/debating and organizing our thoughts rather than actually achieving something.

2 Likes

Correct

1 Like

Well we can measure faztezt arpz, octz, n zcalez… n da zlowezt alzo :wim:

7 Likes

That suits me. Daim, I can’t remember the last time I achieved something worthwhile…

4 Likes