Favourite Well Tempered Clavier recordings?

I’ve loved this work ever since the BBC broadcast video performances shared by -
Gavrilov, MacGregor, Demidenko & Hewitt
I then bought Schiff’s Bach set & Gould’s.
I’ve since also explored Feinberg’s and Richter’s sets.

Who do you guys count among your favourites in this hallowed repertoire?

Sort of related. Did Backhaus ever record a complete set? I enjoyed his laser like perfs from the old recs previously posted.

I love Richter’s Book 1, and Sokolov is extraordinary in much of Book 2. Feinberg’s is a bit of an alternate take, but is highly worthwhile in both books. I rarely listen to any other complete sets, but beyond them I’d first say take a look at Fischer. Schiff offers quality musicianship, and he has my favourite Book II F minor, but I find his Bach too limpid and prettified. It works great in the Goldbergs, but I often have problems with it elsewhere. Several more good if you’re fine with selections - including Backhaus, who did not record a complete set.

The Tureck is a pretty good alternative for da G-man.
I also really like the rather unknown recording of Eunice Norton:

1 Like

Oh yes… I keep forgetting her. Her BBC rec is really good.

Eh, Tureck.

Norton I’m not familiar with.

She was an American student of A. Schnabel who specialized in Bach…

1 Like

Listening now. She plays well.

1 Like

For a completely different sort of experience, it’s also nice to listen to Landowska playing her specially built Pleyel harpsichord…

Fischer was first I heard and still love it. Also like Feinberg.

Gieseking is one that I listened to recently and liked, although the transfer was slightly flat.

I adore Feinberg, and there are a few different takes available of many of the PF’s…

Maybe my overall fave set?

And HJ LIM (aka da Handjob) for pure WTF stylee

2 Likes

Richter
Feinberg
Fischer

I can’t think of any others as good as those. I enjoy Schepkin, Aldwell, Nikolayeva. Gieseking could be better.

1 Like

What I heard from Gieseking was quite disappointing, even sloppy.
After the war, his level was not quite the same and in the 1950s he also had some health problems after a bus/car accident. Apart from that, he was simply too busy with teaching and concertizing, lacking time to be really well prepared for such huge projects as recording complete WTC.

I have to admit I didn’t listen to that much of it because the tuning bugged me, but I didn’t notice the sloppiness? I probably didn’t get far enough into it to hear that. I don’t think I really have a favourite WTC. I probably listen to Richter’s the most (usually the studio version). I don’t always agree with his interpretations, but he has this amazing ability to win me over even when my instincts go against what he does.

Maybe tiz not sloppiness but itz a sort of rushing that annoys me…

live Richter remains my favorite. But I’ve enjoyed Mustonen’s book 1 a lot lately, and Gould is a sentimental choice even though I’ve outgrown most of it.

Feinberg and handjob

Realizing I have Pollini, Hewitt and Nikolaieva as well. If somebody Reeeeely wants these let me know. I am on slow DSL so it takes a while.

Favouritez from Book 1?

1. Prelude and Fugue in C major, BWV 846
    1. Prelude and Fugue in C minor, BWV 847
    1. Prelude and Fugue in C-sharp major, BWV 848
    1. Prelude and Fugue in C-sharp minor, BWV 849
    1. Prelude and Fugue in D major, BWV 850
    1. Prelude and Fugue in D minor, BWV 851
    1. Prelude and Fugue in E-flat major, BWV 852
    1. Prelude and Fugue in E-flat minor,
    1. Prelude and Fugue in E major, BWV 854
    1. Prelude and Fugue in E minor, BWV 855
    1. Prelude and Fugue in F major, BWV 856