Fingering tips for Thirds/Sixth scales for both hands?

Anyone knows any good ones?

With chromatic and major scales?

daim, da Tony dizappearing reply

I use dohnanyi’s fingering for thirds, can do scales both hands no prob

not sixths though :blush:, i usually try to find my own when i come across sixths, don’t have a rule for them as i have with thirds, only for minor chromatics which is all 25 15 14 with double thumbs on adjacent white keys (i think this is in doh as well)

thirds in doh, you meant No. 28 (maj/min), 29 (chrom)?

da doh 34 is sixth chrom, and it said ‘it is absolutely unnecessary to practise the very difficult scales in double sixth in all keys. the chromatic scale in major and minor sixth is sufficient’.

but i iz learin zumthin with extended paragraph wif sixth-scales wif no fingering

also, what is ur prax regime for doh? i would figure playing all 40 of them thru in different keys would take you about 3 hours a day or sth.

I can usually finger diatonic sixths scales without a prob, i could look at the passage of u want me to, but the size of your hand really depends on what fingering you can use (like all thumbs or not)

i learned all of doh about 6 years ago, was a bitch to learn but very much worth it. i played through a large selection of the entire book in about an hour everyday, skipping about 5 exercises about everytime, and switching the ones i skipped with other ones every 2 weeks or so. (i think i skipped all the scale exercises since i did them “in my own way”, not following the scales from the book)

once in a while i focused on one of the 3 parts and did those for a week or 2 very thoroughly, then went back to the entire book. Mostly focused on the last part, since double notes are most fun to me

i put all the keys in pencil on the first page and put a V next to them everytime i ‘mastered’ all the transposable exercices in that key. went through the entire list and after a couple of months redid them all from the top.

i come back to doh once in a while, just to refresh the techs but it all comes natural now.

DIZ IZ DAHDHDHDd

what is this doh you speak of, i’ve never heard of it - could you link me a recommendation? i need a decent quick way to hone my clawz since i’m limited to praxing on only weekendz :frowning:

Presuming it is this? -

sheets.lesdjinns.com/Dohnanyi/Do … yi%20(1929%20Essential%20Finger%20Exercises.pdf

tru, dohnanyi

chromatic scales in thirds: i usually do 13 24 plus the slider from black to white key with the 2nd finger. workz better for me then doublethumb

tru dat!

I learned my double-note scales through the fingerings from the Plaidy exercises, which was the book Lhevinnes prescribed to their students.