fucking thirds etude

I officially stop learning dis piece today. Fuck those thirds, damn it.

how did u practice it?

I randomly practiced it slowly for 5 minutes on random days, and when I tried to rape it full speed, it came out to be shit. Random;y, I dun have to practice much to solve mah technical problems, but da thirds really pissed me off.

Solution: Fuck them

or maybe try more practice…

hey TM, heff ur bad self ever played da brahma pagananny variasheeyat?

Haha, I guess u just have to be lucky with ur thirds. This etude just stays a bitch to play though, I never got it down perfectly, the descending scales are the hardest of all. Perhaps one day…

tru :whale:

Did dis for my RCM audition, took a while for fingers to warm up, but the rest was ok (considering I just got off a 30 hour flight). Needs slow precision practice, no unnecessary movements.

true, and never try to rip through it. u need to build this up

Great Rosenthal comment after hearing a colleague play it: Now you have the right speed, all you have to do is add the thirds.

yes, quality is what matters. I played this piece a while back, not so fast though.

You’d be amazed at the variety of tempi one can hear. I get really tired of hearing people blast through it at a fast speed and totally miss the character of the piece. One of the best I’ve heard was Ashkenazy, who had wonderful speed and control, but had the ghostly transparency needed for it.

Can you pozz UL that Azhkenasy obaysch? i a cd with it a few years ago but it went away. randomly tha garrick ohlzon chopcompchopzon3 also on diz disc(one of my favorites) :chop:

I’ll look for it, but I don’t think I have it anymore.

hahada TM a bit pwned

For those with a lot of patience that cannot play double thirds…

One third per second.
Always ff when practicing.
First, you go through it legato the bottom note of the third, staccato the top note. Then, the other way around… legato the top note, staccato the bottom note.
Always super slow and ff (the way Kapell practiced).
Then, both legato.
That’s the easy part. Now the hard part…
And you just do it every day, a few times, for a couple of months.

Then again, there are people that just “have” double thirds…
Good luck. Make sure you post if it works… it has worked in the past!

Don’t think he will be postin considering he’s banned.

hahha tru tiz alwayz work :unamused:

Took longer than I expected, though. :smiley:

tiz 50% of what da corpze explained in this chopet book.

8)

SDC membahz don’t have that patience u mofo.

:dong:

My thirds used to suck, until I started doing thirds while sitting through lectures at school. Now my thirds are more than good enough, and I didn’t really spend any time practicing them at the piano.

I did the same thing with Chopin 10-2.