Happy Birthday to the X

:slight_smile:

Thanks!

Yeah - love it. Iā€™ve been wondering all my life where the hell you guys were.

I certainly feel like Iā€™m of that age. But unfortunately reality is that Iā€™m a couple of decades olderā€¦ :blush:

Young at heart :wink:
Actually, Iā€™ve always felt at least 5 years less mature than I should be.
This is the problem with hanging out with younger people. :ho:

It doesnā€™t matter. I think one of the great things about music is that it does put you in touch with people of different ages, nationalities etc than youā€™d typically spend time with otherwise - and I read opinions in particular from people who are of a different age than me with great interest since they often see things in a different light than I do. I just meant that out of the probably upwards 200 people Iā€™ve corresponded with in music (most of course very briefly) Iā€™ve met maybe 5 who have been my age +/-15. This has been something of the alien paradox for me earlier since, while I know thereā€™s a lot of prejudice against art music and that it requires musicality to get anything out from it, the teens and 20s is after all when music tends to play the most role in peopleā€™s lives. I mean show me a teenager who isnā€™t interested in music, while I know several in their 50s and upwards who barely even own a CD player. Finding this forum and seeing its past sort of restored the balance of the universe for me again.

Yes, true.
When I was in my 20s I was surrounded by lots of people so passionate about classical music, at the Conservatory.
But look what happened to at least 80% of themā€¦they gave up being actively and/or professionaly involved with the musical world. They chose other careersā€¦even some of the most talented ones.
C.m. can be a lifelong passion, but harsh reality is that most of people were/are deeply disillusioned after having tried to make a living out of itā€¦

At my school I was the only mofo who knew anything about piano recordings. I legit doubt any of the other pianists could name 5 famous pianists. :shrimp:

I find it hard to believe that some young piano student doesnā€™t know the names of Gilels, Cortot or Haskil.
Some 3 decades ago, randomly there was perhaps much more awareness about the great pianists of the pastā€¦

Honestly I think at that time ~2012, they mightā€™ve been able to say Lang Lang and Yundi Li.
Or they mightā€™ve named some not that famous Australian pianist, who played at our school. :lezbo:
Little wonder I only had 2 real friends there, and only one was a pianist.

I jokingly played Billie Jean in performance class a few months ago and got blank stares. This generation is weird. :zhreddah:

Sometimes I wonder why people go into music.
Itā€™s not like being an accountant or lawyer, it should be because you canā€™t not be one.
Some of these kids doing PhDs in Norwegian Black Metal, you just wonder what theyā€™re thinking?

For the people then end up with a career, Iā€™m sure thatā€™s the reason. The others teach (unfortunately in most aspects)ā€¦or give up.