Hello everyone

Welcome!

Our community is very friendly, free and with a lot of cool people.
My name is Jean. I’m very occupied these days but normally I research info on Josef Hofmann.

3 Likes

It’s interesting how so many Josef Hofmann broadcasts did NOT survive

1 Like

I agree with all!

I am starting weekly lessons now, and permanently doing it. I hope to just play a lot of Czerny, and really build my foundation (sonatinas/mozart easy sonatas/beet allegros, easy chopin mazurk/waltzes)

Then, when I get my first job, I will work for a couple years to save up money, then quit (I should have financials for it), and then seriously study and hard grind nothing but music for a few years. I like how music is a grinding field, how you can spend hours and hours and hours and still it not be enough, that is the stuff that keeps me going (you also instantly see the results of your labor, or atleast after a nights sleep)

I would love to do Tchaikovsky competition more than Chopin, because I like Russia more, and I would be kind of bored of preparing NOTHING but Chopin, even Chopin wouldn’t do that (when he’d have to play for one of his concerts all he would do is practice bach).

Debargue is good, above average for a modern in my opinion, he is pretty musical in his playing compared to most, he isn’t a god pianist, but I think he has potential to be one.

I just hope that if I pursue piano, I can have some success from it, if I am going to be amatuer, I rather die, or just live a normal life and work a job (which is debatably dying).

Josef Hoffman is a warhorse titan of the piano, I actually had a phase a couple weeks ago where I listened to nothing but his recordings for a few days… I might just do that now honestly, he is such a god.

Such creative free playing!!

2 Likes

There are many different gradations there… I’m self-financing most of my “pro” album releases and most of my income is from teaching. The “pro” vs “amateur” debate is fucked as we see Steinway marketing their overpriced pianos as furniture to “amateurs” while the pros often don’t even own a piano at all, or sell that shit during hard times. The “Covid” fiasco revealed that much.

I hit on the idea of producing several albums per year with hard ass rep and self-funding those (costs up to $6000 total to release with a label, or around $1200 just to record vids and drop a release on Spotify like I’m doing with my Chopin album).

The alternative is losing motivation and not making progress while you wait to get a big break or suck off the right manager at the right time in hopes you’ll eek out something close to a livable wage from concerts.

Every single day you keep going is a win in my book.

:approved:

I’d switch to Marketing while you’re in college. It’s an equally important skill to piano playing ability when you want a “career.”

Considering how far behind you are (and forgive me, but you aren’t preternaturaly gifted) I don’t think anything other than 100% devotion, bordering on maniacal obsession can get you to where you want to be by 2030, which is a chance at a performing career. I know a lot of phenomenally gifted pianists that have to supplement their income with teaching because they don’t have enough concert engagements to make ends meet.

Income is a whole different bag of worms, I personally saw so much pay-for-play bs in the arts that it became pretty easy to get cynical.

Many artists have multiple streams of income going. Looking into ways to support the piano playing itself is a valid point though.

I think multiple streams of income are a necessary hedge for everybody these days no matter what you are doing. Def diversity your stuffs.

1 Like

Step 1: create a course about how you’ll make someone money

Step 2: make money from the course

Step 3: buy targeted ads.

Step 4: rinse and repeat

3 Likes

https://youtube.com/shorts/h-wS89gbbMc

Da TM classical star academy coursepack cummah!!!

:dong: :tm:

2 Likes

Yo, that’s some aggressive hoeing!

1 Like

This harsh unanimous approval! :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Welcomme :sunglasses:

4 Likes