Ideal piece to test out 88s in a showroom

I know a few mofos here are buying 88s around about now, and as it happens my sister is starting to learn piano and is purchasing a piano for her home, and sharing it with her boyfriend.
They’re both beginners and have asked me to come along and help them pick one out.

What’s the ideal music to test out on a piano?

I know Kissin love playing the chordal section from Tchaik 1 to test out an 88.

Also thinking the opening of Rach Sonata 2 - very satisfying to test out the bass.

What else?

1 Like

You should be doing things like playing scales at varying speeds to check out the evenness of the action. Also it is worth playing slow stuff to see what sort of sonorities you can get, things like Claire de lune. You should test all aspects of the sound and not just the SD parameters :smiley:

3 Likes

Come on, do you really have to ask??? :dong:

3 Likes

AHAHAHAHA we require a raw vid of da COMME

ziztah at da 88 :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I’ve learned that quite a lot can be done by a piano technician, but above all check how the action feels and how you like its “voice”. Also try things like Chasse Neige or Chop/God 10#6 to test its dynamic and tonal qualities. Does the soft, continuous accompaniment sound soft and continuous or does it interfere with the melody? How easy is it to vary the shadings of the melody?

Further… how is the far treble? Clear and piano-like or brittle and tuningforky? What happens with the bass at ff or pp? How responsive is the pedal? Can you keep a passage clean where you have to use half pedal or change it rapidly? The Liszt Tarantella, repeated notes? Easily separable?

1 Like

uze diz:

2 Likes

This guy :yum:

REAL HISTORICAL TEMPO

1 Like

FUCKKKKKKKKKKKK da moz legendary tech I haf eva witnezzd

:medal:

Bits of rep in varying styles, tru.

Dere is no such thing as an ideal 88.
If da action haff good repeated notes, pretty much any rep is playable on it.

randomly my school does not haff a SINGLE Steinway D dat is in good condition.
All rebuilt shit.

Da Nu Shigeru Kawai concert grand is under lock and key. Fuck

About the most convincing refutation of this tempo is the Dreyschock story.

IF this was da tru tempo, it wud be fairly easy to haff revolutionaryoctz @extrememofo !!

3 Likes

Foah da tone quality: st like da beginning ov Chop Polofant.

1 Like

da 25/12 :comme:

How diz iz a queazrtin

2 Likes

TRU diz a huge hole in da WIM tempo argument

howevah, da zepp propoze da followin remedial theory to help fill da gap:

mazturbation wuz banned by all major religionz in da 19th century zo oct tech wuz non-exiztent acrozz da cuntinent at dat tym :sunglasses:

2 Likes

hahaha whut iz diz mazturbation zheeyat u iz referring to? :sunglasses:

also, NO, I haff no idea why ma LH octz iz fastah den da right

I swear

1 Like