Improvised sonata

The last movement (10.02) is probably the most sdc-friendly :japanese_ogre::sunglasses:

2 Likes

The especially furiouz final segment :blush:

2 Likes

These pics spooky as fuck! Also rec quality sounds good!

1 Like

Iā€™m recording straight from Rode NT5s to my PC via a mixing desk, then noise reduction in izotope. Considering itā€™s a small living room I donā€™t think itā€™s too bad.

2 Likes

Iā€™m listening through TV set up but kicked over to this from Hamelinā€™s Hexameron rec. Yourā€™s sound better tone wise back to back.

1 Like

Ah, epic Hyperion sound production values!

Yeahā€¦ they should put out the compressed versions for ipod style mofos but have uncompressed sound - especially when buying ā€œstudioā€ masters n shit. Da Doc have not had a bass register since what his medtner album?

2 Likes

Daim, I get a TCHAIK vibe from da festin Orage.

It really sounds good.

Any update on da KAT masterclass btw? Troubleshooting a way to REC it?

1 Like

They usually swim in oceans of reverb.

Nope, not heard from him! Itā€™s going to be either a matter of finding a way to rec the phone, or itā€™s going to be buying a laptop! I can feed the audio into the phone now but if I want to rec it to my pc at the same time Iā€™ll probably have to buy a splitter cable for the output from the mixer.

1 Like

Can I ask where you ended up putting the NT5s? Iā€™m trying to do much the same (rec a grand in a small room) and I canā€™t find a decent mic placement.

This is the way I have it atm. Iā€™m surprised itā€™s working as well as it appears to be, but for whatever reason the bass is better with the left mic pointing diagonally rather than more or less straight ahead like the right mic.

20201116_114008

I also seem to have had better control over the audio quality after feeding it through this inexpensive mixer (though in fairness I needed it to connect the mics to my pc):

20201116_114730

1 Like

Thanks for the info - do you find you have to watch your breathing with the mics placed like that?

Iā€™ve not been picking up much tbh. I suppose the direct line of the left mic is pointing more at the upper treble than to where I am. I was getting far more breathing noise with a phone sitting at the rightmost end of the keys.

Thanks mofo - I appreciate it! Iā€™ll experiment along those lines :sunglasses:

1 Like

@Harrison

Could you do me a favour and put this through the midi creator software you had? Iā€™m not ultimately looking for a midi, but the plot of the notes and durations would be SUPER useful in terms of transcribing this, putting it down on paper and editing it compositionally into a polished form. It has enough good material, imo, to justify me trying to transform it into a composition.

If you can do this, no rush, it will take ages anyway to put it into Sibeliusā€¦ ty

Here you go :sunglasses:

Sonata for piano (improvised) (152kbit_Opus).mid (86.2 KB)

What are you using to view the MIDI output? Iā€™ve not found anything so far thatā€™s both user-friendly and displays in a helpful fashion. Iā€™m using a antiquated thing called MIDIplay and would be happy if there was something better.

1 Like

Thanks, Iā€™ll search around to see if there are any decent viewersā€¦ if Iā€™m really lucky maybe someoneā€™s written an automated plugin for Sibelius which reads midis.

1 Like

Sib def imports MIDI, but unless your playing is supa-robot itā€™s just a mess of hemidemis, ties and rests. A nice clean MIDI reader would be great if you find one (or find a way to make Sib read MIDI more cleanly).