least favorite famous pianists thread

Jake, from an objective point of you Hamelin’s technic surpasses any of your favourite pianists.

That depends on one’s definition of “technique”

Of course. Imagine that it didn’t!

Of course.

I just can’t understand how Jake would find the way Hamelin plays the begining of Scriabin’s 8th piano sonata to be anything but remarkable.

have no clue wtf you are talking about. almost all great pianists praised him back then including horowitz, hofmann and lots more. his bio is amazing as well.

:unamused:

I LOL’ed…so I guess her nightmare really has come true? Being listed side to side with tiempo…sigh

my list of 88ers:

Michelangeli, :dong: , :ziff: , :doc: :whale: , hamelin, brendull, schiff, volodos, katsaris, some baremboim…

find the quotez of him being praized by :rock:

& u zhud juzt know ur argument bazed on their pay iz juzt weak
pozz y u think da :dong: iz great?

Hey man, just saying; when I listen to Godowsky, I like to hear some of the interesting voices the man wrote…when i listen to Medtner and Scriabin, I like to hear some color, and when I listen to Alkan a bit of transparency doesn’t hurt…a pile of mezzo forte mashed potatoes con pedale (the Hamelin special) just doesn’t cut it for me. If you like that kind of thing, that’s cool. If your idea of a gourmet meal is a bucket of KFC, who am I to judge?

Hamelin plays the piano with about as much technique as a court reporter. He’s little more than a glorified button pusher. He doesn’t make us aware of any of the interesting possibilities inherent in the instrument that so many others do. He plays all scalar passages like they are from Czerny/Hanon. He stabs at chords in fast passages, generating a weak and flakey sound. All dynamic contrast in his playing sounds deeply contrived, and his rubato is simply intolerable most of the time. He has a poor sense of line and has a GRUESOME tendency to overpedal. His ornamentation is invariably four-square. He makes no effort to emphasize important notes in chords, or to emphasize interesting harmonies in the music. It’s almost as if Hamelin needs music with a lot of notes to trick us into believing that he understands the structure of a piece of music (heard his Wanderer Fantasy?). GAG.

Boredom is about the worst emotion one can experience when listening to music. Hamelin is a deeply boring musician with a deeply boring technique. If he’s not almost completely forgotten in 20 years, I owe you a penny (incidentally, equal to my valuation of Hamelin’s Schumann record - under the assumption that I could erase the CD and burn some ABBA onto it).

All the pianists I mentioned in my list are superior technicians, and I’d be proud to defend that last statement in length.

His leggierezza is one of the best recordings of Liszt playing ever made.

You’re an idiot.

Actually, I’ll be kind: you’re ignorant.

Go listen to Moiseiwitsch and tell me Hamelin’s is the greatest ever.

Jake, not everyone’s taste needs to conform to your own. Personally I find it shocking that after being a pianist for like 5 years you have the audacity to tell people what they can and cannot think. Ridiculous. Never mind that I agree with you on many things, but damn… your own tastes have as many quirks as those of anyone here. Pozzibly grow up a bit. I’m not afraid to ban you again.

As to the topic, personally I find there are only a couple pianists I simply cannot listen to.

Lang Lang
Fazil Say
Pogorelich

And since they are boring pianists and giant assholes:
Andras Schiff
Alfred Brendel
Angela Hewitt

Notice Hamelin is not on the list. I don’t listen to him that often, but there are some recordings of his that I do enjoy.

rezpec your opinion
but I have got zo many idea and inzpiration lizten to da POGO
I cant ztand liztenin to da ZAY
and i wud put da UCHIDA in da borin and azzholez onez (even zhe knowz a lot about what zhe iz doin…but zhe juzt cant do it)

Yeah, I can deal with early pogo. Post 1990 Pogo is a disgrace, imo.

And yea, I’m no more interested in Uchida’s playing than I am in Brendel’s or Schiff’s… but then they’re only on a list because I know them to be total jerks. I can actually stand their playing in small doses. Uchida fits this category, but I don’t have any problem with her personally. I’m sure she’s a fairly pleasant person.

canadian, are you referring to the bulk of pogorelich’s output in general? or simply the stuff after his first pile of recordings?

I dislike 90% of his recordings for DG. His Brahms and Haydn are laughable. The Liszt sonata bothers me, the Scriabin is a bit OCD. I don’t have a problem with most of the Chopin and Bach though. But then I also don’t think it’s that great.

Also, not a huge fan of the Pogo Prokofiev 6 or Gaspard. I think they’re fine recs, but I don’t think they’re the greatest - which is a fairly common opinion in some circles.

I’m not telling anyone what to think. As soon as Mephisto responded telling me that “objectively” Hamelin has a better technique than any of my favorite pianists, anything was fair game imo.

btw…i’ve been playing just over 3 years. :rudy:

prrhapz a bit :lib:

haha canadian, wut DOC recz do u Njoi?

i find it hard 2 rezpond 2 diz topiq becuz ov all da peniztz iv been extenzively expozd 2, i can c ZUM value n gudnezz in

da 1z i juz dun lyk i juz avoid liztenin 2, n hence hafnt herd enuff 2 zay dey iz completely sheeyat

but i zumwut now c da impetuz behind da vitriolic peniz-bazhin dat zum mofoz ere unleazh

da point iz, lyf iz 2 zhort 2 lizten 2 averagenezz, let alone lizten 2 outryt sheeyat