Mic position comparative test

• Live rec
  • Studio rec

0 voters

Which 88 sound is preferable? (please ignore live fuckups :sunglasses:, and differing tempo/interp choices)

The same 88 was used for both recs. Somewhere I have the mic setup photos, but not something I can put my hands on immediately.

Live:

Studio:

1 Like

Wellā€¦ from what I can tell here I like the soundscape better in the live recording, even much better, but its treble sounds underpowered. The studio rec is better balanced in that sense in that the melody is more on top, where it should be.

2 Likes

The live rec. has softer volume hasnā€™t it? I think I slightly prefer the Studio version in terms of richness of 88-sound.

1 Like

I have a very definite opinion on the two recs as well, but Iā€™ll keep quiet for now. Iā€™ll try to locate the mic photos, but as Iā€™m about to start rearranging my furniture for a piano delivery that will have to wait :laughing:

2 Likes

It could be the piano itself which is a bit tilted towards the bass, but you can alter the treble influence by the sideways mic position. I like to put the mics near the hammers at the left side of the lid, since that brings you closest to the shortest strings and gives you a head on reflection from the lid. This puts a spotlight on the treble and gives a very brilliant, colourful, singing sound. The downside is that it sounds a bit ā€œlitā€. At center lid or to the right you get a more homogenous, mellow sound.

In Thalberg here however Iā€™d argue what you want is the former - whereas in Beethoven itā€™s maybe easier to make a case for the latter.

2 Likes

ā€¦hehe, in case you should use this at some point I should add that if youā€™re too far to the left the sound will start becoming brittle and metallic. If you imagine the lid of the piano as divided in four quarters, facing the second quarter is good for this singing treble sound.

Live is better. Smoother.
The studio rec sounds more ā€œhigh defā€ for the average listener though.

If the goal is to get the most realistic capture of da 88 tone, wiz many gradations of attack n articulation - live all da way

1 Like

I prefer the live, and by some distance. The studio sounds more ā€œfocussedā€ but the general feel on the live rec is just much more what Iā€™m looking for.

2 Likes

Yes, tiz mo natural

2 Likes

That is possibly also a consequence of noise reduction but Iā€™m not sure I still have the pre-treatment audio file.

2 Likes