New repertoire/programs of living pianists

Since we love to chat about new concert programs or new works in the repertoire of great pianists, I suggest that we are doing it here!

I will start with the program of next month’s recital in Belgrade by Yevgeny Sudbin, which has Tchaikovsky’s Romeo and Jullet Fantast-Overture in Sudbin’s transcription, which is (I guess) new piece in his repertoire!

FB_IMG_1548333718811

3 Likes

That’s cool! I enjoyed his recital here a couple of years ago, however I don’t think he’s been back since.

Gosh, I’m not used to see names re-spelled like that. It took me a few seconds to figure out who F. Sopen was (which is a bit funny in Swedish since the name resembles both the words for garbage, dilettante, broom and soap :dong:).

1 Like

the funny thing is my Russian piano teacher would always pronounce it wrong because she would read “Sudbin” in English, rather than mentally transliterating it back to Cyrillic.

3 Likes

Trifonov is doing next season Bach’s The Art of the Fugue, together with Prokofiev’s 8th Sonata:

https://tickets.philharmonicsociety.org/single/eventDetail.aspx?p=20376

2 Likes

Dude’s got taste

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if he would play complete cycle in the first, and Prokofiev 8th in the second half… :sunglasses:

Yes I was just asking myself the same thing, if he does the entire set that would be well over an hour’s worth of music, maybe even >1h30.

Either way I’m really looking forward to this. I adore the work and I don’t think I’ve heard any original Bach from him at all earlier (though I wish he’d start with something easier).

I don’t think he’s playing a recital here anytime soon, but I wouldn’t attend it anyway, unless he behaves himself.

1 Like

@xsdc His program this season lasts 75 + 30 minutes, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see complete cycle! He was thinkg about playing selections from Schumann’s Bunte Blatter this season, but then came out with full work…

@Brewtality I think he reduced the number of the concert for the next season and orientated more on America…Btw. did they already announced new season in Paris?

1 Like

That’s good! With so many pianists doing the direct opposite I’m glad at least Trifonov establishes a permanent presence there.

1 Like

Not yet, except for TCE Beethoven concerts. Usually they won’t announce until late March, if I remember correctly.

Same here, and boy am I waiting… This season was a real low.

Is it just cheap poor me or is it only right that pianists with higher prices should put on larger programs? There are exceptions of course (Zimerman), but a return to programs like this would be great.

That or split the program with another pianist.

I think they should lower the prices instead :rage: I’m not even with Kissin for that 75€ Liszt program until he drives a beetle and moves back in with his mother again.

2 Likes

I’m seeing Kissin next weekend, and I think I paid 110€ for that ticket. You don’t even get a subscriber’s discount for him either. Even if it’s an exceptional concert, this is the last time I will see him for a while.

Oh! Fun, the Debussy program?

I actually have no idea, I presume so. I have 3 concerts next week; malbino, kissin and babayan.

That’s 3x my season :rage:

Wonderful with Babayan. His is apparently all-Chopin, and EK is indeed the Debussy.

If it’s any consolation, this season’s tickets have cost me about 2000€. Previous season was about 6000. I will try to trim it some more next season.

1 Like