Prok Concerto 3 - which score to buy?

Yo mofoz, in need of azziztance. Im going to learn some parts of this concerto, just for the challenge, not performing with anyone. There are 2 options I see for the sheet music, both from Boosey and Hawkes, one is the full orchestral study score, the other is the version for 2 pianos, 4 hands. Which makes better sense to buy?
Im wondering if the orchestral version might also have the piano solo part separate as well so you arent flipping the page every 3 seconds while learning? I also don’t know if the 2 pianos version makes any changes to the piano solo part? (cause I wouldnt want that). First time learning a concerto so I am unfamiliar with this stuff. Thanks!

3 Likes

2 piano 4 hands so you can quickly grasp the essentials, full score is overkill unless you are going to transcribe that whole bitch for 1 piano and drown in pussy.

2 Likes

tru i haff tha green prickface boozehawk partittah n tiz of gud quality, pozz way too ovahpricd az moz bozzhawk zheeyat iz, iizc corectly tha partitur vil ztay open on whutevah pag without haffing to bend or break anyzheeyatz :doc:

2 Likes

Get the one with the piano reduction (ie 2nd piano). Conductor’s scores don’t come with a separate part for the solo instrument. The solo part is set as 2 staves usually immersed among the lines of the other instruments…seldom at the top or bottom. Depending on the tempo and instrumentation of each section, you could otherwise be looking at maybe having as few as 6-8 bars per page…which is a lot of page-turning that you mention you want to avoid. Unless you’re into also analyzing the orchestral voicings, you’ll be happier with the 2 piano reduction.

4 Likes

thank you homiez!

1 Like

Get one you won’t feel sorry for destroying after thwacking it against the piano in FURY.

:tmfury:

4 Likes

better yet, buy the cheapest score and throw it straight in the trash where that shit belongs.

1 Like

Do you not like this song anymore?

1 Like

Kind of cooled on it yeah

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. Its still ome of my favorite songs, but i guess maybe its just Kapell now that i think about it.

Yeah Kapell got some awesome recs of it.

Randomly, Yuja did a kick ass job with it

1 Like

How many Kapell recs of it are tbere? Id like to hear em all

1 Like

Yo there are quite a few I think:

Ormandy 1947

Stokowski 1949

Dorati, 1949

1 Like

Ormandy! Def havent heard dat aheyat i think

1 Like

There is also a 1953 with Burgin

Which iz da one paired with dat terrible tractorchurian concerto?

2 Likes

Hmmm da Dorati.

1 Like

I might have this on a drive somewhere… made a note to look for it tomorrow but remind me @VOLODYA

1 Like

https://www.dasdc.net/t/kapell-march-21-1953-prok-3-with-boston-so-burgin/32611