request: essential brotha op. 110 recz

tru, anyone play this mofo as good as Gieseking n Richter?

8)

thankz mofoz

My favourites are:

Gieseking (Both Recs)
Richter (1951, 1963, Moscow 1971, and Kiel 1991)
Barere
Solomon
Levit
Schnabel
Gilels

Also worth checking out: Levy, Lamond, Kovacevich, Browning, Fischer, Serkin.

Oh man, I gotta check out the Gilels and Solomon.
That’s a damn good list…

Gould’s live recording is actually pretty good

My ref is Richter (Prague 1965, but possibly more out of convenience than a thorough comparison of all he left). One not mentioned yet which is worth hearing is also Arrau’s 1960 studio take for Swedish radio.

Mikhail - if you think either of these would give you ideas I have (catalogued) recordings of the work with the following pianists:

Anderszewski (2)
Andsnes (2)
Arrau (9)
Ashkenazy (5)
Barere (1)
Berman (1)
Bolet (5)
Brendel (13)
Ciccolini (1)
Fiorentino (10)
Freire (2)
Gieseking (2)
Gilels (1)
Gustafsson (1)
Gould (2.5)
Gulda (2)
Hamelin (2)
Hewitt (1)
Hough (2)
Katsaris (2)
Kempff (6)
Lamond (1)
de Larrocha (5)
Lefébure (1)
Levy (1)
Lewis (1)
Libetta (2)
Lifschitz (1)
Lucchesini (1)
Lupu (1)
Neuhaus (1)
Ogdon (1)
Ohlsson (3)
Paik (2)
Petri (1)
Piemontesi (1)
Pires (1)
Pletnev (1)
Pollini (6)
Ponti (1)
Richter (32)
Schiff (7)
Schnabel (1)
Serkin (6)
Siirala (2)
Sokolov (2)
Solomon (1)
Tomsic (1)
Volodos (4)
Zimerman (10)

Do you have the video of Pletnev or just the audio?

It’s a radio broadcast. When is the vid from?

Moscow but I only have a 2-minute-long clip which I put on my channel. Gosteleradiofond have / hoard it.

Incidentally I just found some more footage of the ‘78 Tchaikovsky Comp winners’ concert. This was by far the most competitive Tchaikovsky Comp IMO.

Yes, the stuff they have over there. The radio broadcast that’s in circulation comes from a Finnish rebroadcast (of just that work), which surfaced about 12 years ago as part of a large collection of tapes donated to the Finnish radio by a deceased collector. The rest from that recital is more than likely hiding in some Russian vault as well. If they were to let me loose over there I think the 1980s Pletnev department is where I’d head first.

My entry from his WC is as follows below, which I thought was complete actually but indeed looking at it again it does look too short. Has anything else surfaced aside from this?

=================================================
MiPl#109. July 9, 1978: Moscow Conservatory (Grand Hall), Moscow, Soviet Union (TV Broadcast | WMV378MB)

• Tchaikovsky Competition | Winners’ Concert -
    • Shostakovich: Allegro in F minor (1864)
    • Tchaikovsky/Pletnev: Pas de deux from The Nutcracker

Encores:
• Tchaikovsky/Pletnev: Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker
• Tchaikovsky/Pletnev: The Tea (Chinese Dance) from The Nutcracker

• The short program is since Pletnev shared this concert with the gold medallists in cello & vocals (Nathaniel Rosen, Lyudmila Shemchuk), as well as the bronze medallist in violin (Irina Medvedeva).

Besides all these recordings mentioned, I would add Sokolov and Anderszewski, who is maybe not so tipical, but very beautiful and interesting!

I uploaded the video of this already, minus the Shostakovich which I don’t have. Do you have the video of the Shostakovich? I don’t have anything else of him from the WC. Mikhail uploaded the other videos of Pletnev at the '78.

Yes, looks so. You want it? Below is everything I have with Pletnev from the competition.

=================================================
MiPl#137. June 1978: Moscow Conservatory (Grand Hall), Moscow, Soviet Union (Radio Broadcast | FLAC)

• Tchaikovsky Competition | Stage I -
    • Chopin: Etude in G-sharp minor, Op.25 No.6

• Russian Disc RDCD 00375

MiPl#107. June 1978: Moscow Conservatory (Grand Hall), Moscow, Soviet Union (TV Broadcast | WMV294MB)

• Tchaikovsky Competition | Stage II -
    • Shostakovich: Prelude & Fugue in B-flat major, Op.87 No.21
    • Prokofiev: Piano Sonata No.7 in B-flat major, Op.83
    • Tchaikovsky: Theme & Variations, Op.19 No.6
    • Liszt: Hungarian Rhapsody No.9 in E-flat major, S.244 No.9 (Carnival in Pest)

Encore:
• Gazayeba: Prelude

• Liszt also on Bomba Music BoMB 033-595DVD [DVD5]

MiPl#108. July 1978: Moscow Conservatory (Grand Hall), Moscow, Soviet Union (TV Broadcast | WMV353MB)

• Tchaikovsky Competition | Stage III -
    • Liszt: Piano Concerto No.1 in E-flat major, S.124
    • Tchaikovsky: Piano Concerto No.1 in B-flat minor, Op.23

• Alexander Lazarev / Unknown Orchestra

• Tchaikovsky also on Bomba Music BoMB 033-594DVD [DVD5]

MiPl#109. July 9, 1978: Moscow Conservatory (Grand Hall), Moscow, Soviet Union (TV Broadcast | WMV378MB)

• Tchaikovsky Competition | Winners’ Concert -
    • Shostakovich: Allegro in F minor (1864)
    • Tchaikovsky/Pletnev: Pas de deux from The Nutcracker

Encores:
• Tchaikovsky/Pletnev: Dance of the Sugar-Plum Fairy from The Nutcracker
• Tchaikovsky/Pletnev: The Tea (Chinese Dance) from The Nutcracker

• The short program is since Pletnev shared this concert with the gold medallists in cello & vocals (Nathaniel Rosen, Lyudmila Shemchuk), as well as the bronze medallist in violin (Irina Medvedeva).

MiPl#143. October 15, 1978: Moscow Conservatory (Grand Hall), Moscow, Soviet Union (Radio Broadcast | FLAC)

• Bach: Partita No.6 in E minor, BWV 830

• Melodiya C10-12165-6 [LP]

We’re totally fucking up Mikhail’s thread, but true about the other competitors incidentally - this year was akin to the 2010 Chopin. It’s almost cruel to put someone like Pletnev in the middle of it since I’d love to have seen Laplante win, which might have turned his career in a different direction. Not to mention Judd…

Thanks. I just realised that actually can’t be Shostakovich. It’s Tchaikovsky Allegro in F minor. No it’s ok I don’t need it, but it’s good to know you have it and it exists.

man this is why it’s better not to run on memory. I checked and I already uploaded the whole WC.

Ah, thanks. An 1864 piece from Shost would have been surprising.

Your cataloguing is very impressive by the way. If I had the patience for that I’d be a much better person.

What goes around comes around.

The Judd WC footage is brilliant.

1978 was a great comp

Laureates
I Prize – Mikhail Pletnev (USSR)
II Prize – Pascal Devoyon (France), Andre Laplante (Canada)
III Prize – Nikolay Demidenko (USSR), Evgeny Ryvkin (USSR)
IV Prize – Terence Jadd (Great Britain), Boris Petrov (USSR)
V Prize – Christian Blackshow (Great Britain)
VI Prize – Naum Grubert (USSR)

1974 was very competitive too

aureates
I Prize – Andrey Gavrilov (USSR)
II Prize – Stanislav Igolinsky (USSR), Myung Van Chung (USA)
III Prize – Yury Egorov (USSR)
IV Prize – Eteri Andjaparidze (USSR), Andrash Schiff (Hungary)
V Prize – Dmitry Alexeev (USSR)
VI Prize – David Lively (USA), Brigite Engerer (France)

Oh damn.
I don’t want to sound like a greedy cunt but it would be nice to hear your fave recs from these mofos:

Pletnev, Sokolov, Berman, Volodos.

Rezpek yoself!