Rules...

1. No WMA. Ignoring this rule WILL result in a severe banning. [Edit: Possibly this is not true. Just trying to make a point] :slight_smile:

2. No CLASSICAL, no JAZZ… They have their own forums.

3. ABSOLUTELY NO COUNTRY

4. If you’re not posting a file, your post will be deleted. No Random useless discussion threads here… Post a file if you want a discussion.

5. Every topic must contain a Full Album or it will be deleted. No single tracks - music is sold in album form for a reason

Otherwise, post whatever you want.

haha excellent

btw, the WMA rule (banning) is slightly harsh for those who forget,

but it makes sense

heh I vill upload sum edith piaf when my limit iz reset. :whale: 8)

Respec dis forum tru 8)

you have mah utmozt respec again 8)

:approved:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA MAN! :dong: :dong: :dong:

:approved:

randomly canadian,

how do you burn music in lossless format? when i see the xx kbs changing (not set in 192 kbs or 128) does that mean it’s in lossless format?

and what’s better sonically, lossless format or a high bitrate encoding (like 192kbs and more)

You can always tell when music is lossless because there are only a few widely used Lossless formats. These are :

.Flac
.Ape
.shn
.tta

and there is an apple lossless and a Windows Lossless, but they aren’t very widely used.

Everything that isn’t those formats is Lossy. MP3, WMA, OGG, MPC, AAC, Mp4 are all LOSSY.

And you can’t tell if something is lossless just by looking at the bitrate. All of these files have Variable bitrate capability - even the lossless ones.

Canadian,

I read the properties for the mum files, and it said winamp media file, so i assumed it was mp3 (i didn’t know how to find out) when it was WMV, i guess all my files are wmv (default conversion, dammit). I’ll repost sometime.

sorry about that

what does lossless mean?

-da Meph

FUCK Google is your friend…

Lossless data compression uses compression algorithms that allow the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data. Lossy data compression does not allow the exact original data to be reconstructed from the compressed data.

Lossy compression can shrink a CD to almost 1/10th of its original size, since alot of that data is not necessary and is therefore thrown away. The best lossy codecs are OGG, LAME MP3, MPC and MP4

Lossless compression generally manages compression ratios of 1/2 to even 1/3… But since it doesn’t throw any data away, it can’t shrink nearly as much as lossy. Classical music is relatively easy to compress and you can often get 1/5 compression or better. But any music with drums, snares, mutliple instruments, human voice etc, will be harder to compress. The best lossless formats are FLAC, True Audio and APE.

where can i find a free wma to ogg converter that doesn’t delete the original files in their previous format?

try this:

www.dbpoweramp.com

this thing can convert practically anything to anything, with the right codecs.

much thanks,

it’s looking like it’s working