The most OVERRATED Pianist

Yeah there’s a special place in hell for pianists who can’t play Chopin – YW, Trif, Hamelin.

To be fair, da 21st century and the robotic non-legato, strictky Paderewski edition - standards set by the Chop comp and the often corrupt jury (who is at best - incompetent and at worst - full of sexual predators) has pretty much made any modern chop perf dry.

I’m sticking with Cortot, Friedman, Moiztbitch, Rosenthal n othas

1 Like

I move to commence inztant impeachment proceedinz againzt da chairman bazed on diz cumment :sunglasses:

1 Like

Volodos, too - doesn’t, at least. Maybe even Sokolov - I love most of it, but it certainly is an acquired taste. Top marks for originality at least.

In terms of price/quality Pogorelich is the most overrated imo, then maybe Kissin.

1 Like

I do not believe Pollini is overrated. In general I like to think about people’s better sides more than their bad side, and when you think about Pollini’s best recordings they are really great. Just my two cents.

Cannot think of any overrated pianists right now.

1 Like

Does Volodos play Chopin?

Nope. I think there’s a recording of him playing the 4th ballade in his student days, but that’s it. Pollini’s only overrated based on how he’s playing now. When he still had his technique in shape he was excellent.

1 Like

Nope, and I think it’s good for pianists to know their own limitations and not try to play everything.
That being said I’d really like to hear him play Chopin :slight_smile:

I’m not sure if it’s a limitation or simply a choice? Everyone plays Chopin, and it’s been like that for 190 years. Either way I can’t imagine the combo! I’d def be curious too.

Da TM tend to stay away from Chopin. That mofo needs da full range of “outdated” devices and one can get crucified for playing like that. Alas

If that Volodos Ballade 4 rec is for real, then he should play more Chopin. I seem to recall it being pretty good.

ahahaha dat VOL BALL 4 need itz own inveztigheytive topic tru :sunglasses:

Van Cliburn?

Yeah that’s certainly a fair suggestion. I think he was superb at the time of the Tchai though. Just not very long after it…

I like him in some things but his technique was never good enough.

Surprised no-one’s mentioned Perahia (did we ever decide on a nick? I quite liked da DROOPY DAWG). I don’t think I’ve ever heard a recording of his which was more than competent.

Incidentally, while looking for something which might convince me he’s other than a hack, I did find this 1972 documentary about the Leeds Comp which looks interesting.

1 Like

So the question is basically which famous penist dun you like?

I did this →

I think piano-playing was only a part of what got Paderewski his reputation.

1 Like