The Official Fatty Tranny Request Thread

Kinda ok

https://youtu.be/SwoFU3Ba0X8

Insane breakthrough.

I revisited the work trying to build my own curve based on some assumptions about the laser turntable behaving like a displacement cart. RIAA didn’t sound right and I’m certain I had those locked with biquad so I decided to revisit lecture below.

The breakthrough is the laser turntable has a 6b bias added across frequency band to wonkily mirror capacitance of moving magnet playback. They then take a hot dumb RIAA approximation to make it go.

So, I added the 6b bias to the filter stack I’d worked up. GLORIOUS NATURAL SOUND RESULTED. Will post Novitskaya’s visions which has been a test case on curve experiments.

This making me realize even the 78s I transferred had a 6 db lift in treble that ear shredding as fuck. Explains a lot. Soooo excited I figured out what was wrong after about a year. :sunglasses:

I was playing with the spectrogram and figured out what causes melodya LPs to sometimes sound nasal. They null to mono some of the low end so they don’t get big out of phase bass groove cuts, but they don’t correct the subtle gain loss down there looks like (?) Correcting this too before posting later in night.

And you just can’t hide it.

Hard to believe this the same noisey record I started experimenting with.

Here is the Novitskaya Fugitives. Again :sunglasses:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R4hg9JZ1Ftlr-HEUTgapr-WVw-sTr1tD/view?usp=share_link

Bumping above. It’s the best transfer of this No CD perf in history. Worth downloading.

Are all of the tracks separated and tagged? Is there an album cover?

Btw, dropped Roon. Awesome concept and design. It’s great for people with large libraries of classical music, especially. But…having a stable, bug free app isn’t their priority, it seems. Since I updated to MacOS Ventura, the app is completely unstable. And no response from them for 5 days after I posted a detailed complaint in their support forums.

1 Like

Naw, its just the Fugitives from '71 LP. Chucked the cover already after kicking off a tube upload. Such a magical performance. A unique pianist. Got her 68 LP ordered with her queen elezibeth comp perfs. Will do same way.

RIAA solved but still totes confused by non standard curves. I think I gotta calc slopes in the parametric EQ I built against this reference doc from Galo and extend or wiggle them around. Fuck me…

1 Like

Hot damn the vision fugitives were reissued on CD. Got them from that guy’s site. Dramatically less detail than the LP perf in spite of its LPness. I’m convinced none of these reissues bother to pull master tape.

2 Likes

I guess visiting this thread has resulted in the following showing up in my Tube recommendations:

Brain washing AI!

Realized I have a thrashed von pachmann nocturne disc floating around. Will see if it plays today

Acoutstics I think are transferred all wrong. The recommended EQs are essentially higher “cut” poins but these discs were effectively constant displacement discs and the noise reduction had to do with mechanical load of air against diaphragm etc. That is velocity and force dependent so shouldn’t cut at an even EQ. I build my own curve that has a more logorithmic bend to is to account for how much harder air is to move as you go up. Will use on pachmann with no broadband noise and just declick to see it if work.

That sound kind of nice. Success maybe~!

https://youtu.be/p4ga4svPy0w

Damn yeah. When magnetic pickups are used they got the 6db rising bias which is pretty linear. So when people try to EQ acoustics these days they got two flat curves wobbling around on top of a non linear medium curve. reconciling them not easy. Is why those ultra shitty horn machines sound so much better aside from the huge limitations there.

Pulled to repost with some denoise added. WIll do in a sec

Man sounds worse with denoise. Algorithms just want to thrash the little piano sound you can hear will leave as is and repost OG

Woh… I’m an idiot. Posted and shared the wrong novitskaya file. The posted one is before bias correction on bass freq so a bit screatchy. Updating but will be a while cuz of DSL.