Upcoming Sidney Foster 5CD on Marston

Still hotter den my ex or her mother :sunglasses:

Also, “homo” is a compliment

Speaking of Gieseking, how about that Melo set… Is the label still alive?

A commercial release of a comprehensive Mark Hambourg edition would be very desirable, and this would be the sort of thing that Marston excels at.

I think Podium has released all of his commercial recordings. APR might have follow-up projects on him.

Really? That’s certainly news to me.

I looked in to this a little last night incidentally, and was disappointed to find there’s even less left than I thought. Aside from what I mentioned then all I’d really be interested in is the rest of Lamond’s discs and Lympany’s Deccas. Bits and pieces with several more though, I think there’s a few more Kempff sides which haven’t made it to CD for instance. Some Karolyi etc I could imagine taking a look at too, but even then we’re in the territority of the Bronfman, Thibaudet etc of the 78-rpm era.

Frankly, I reckon we’ve been digging up unimportant pianists for many years already, even on Marston.

Yes, not necessarily bad in of itself though. Once they reach the Gekics, Dacics, Ablogin etc I’d become interested again. :nerd_face:

And I’d be even more disinterested.

2 Likes

The Gieseking box has been postponed for more than a year now, which is a bloody shame…also because Meloclassic acquired the only filmed footage of the pianist (Debussy’s ‘Pagodes’).
I think that right now, APR is a much more important label in terms of quality releases of historic pianists than Marston.
http://www.aprrecordings.co.uk/apr2/checklista-z.php

Yes, i tink so tuu. They at least release a lot more. They’ve got a Smeterlin set in the pipeline too I’m looking forward to, if only for the rest of his early recs. I don’t care much for his LPs tbh.

1 Like

I just looked up Hambourg/Podium, but if I read their website correctly they’ve only released 4 CDs with him. He left a huge discography - my Hambourgs are in quite a bit of disarray and I know there are several duplicates, but I have well over 20 hours of recordings with him (and that’s still missing a few sides). I’d guess a complete Hambourg set would require at least 12-15 CDs.

But even APR has been going downhill since Brian Crimp sold it. For example, the last volume of Fiorentino was delayed and delayed and eventually had to be released on Piano Classics. These are recordings they got for free too.

Yes, but they’re still good with historical releases (REALLY historical releases). Just check their new releases page now - 2xBackhaus, Zecchi, Lamond, etc. It’s awesome stuff. But again I question how long it will continue like this - that Gaillard release for instance looks like a fair indication for the future unless they start focusing on better transfer of things which have already appeared on CD.

You probably know and perhaps agree with me that a lot of Hambourg’s recordings are simply a waste of time - especially the later recordings of some standard repertoire or popular encore pieces, some are pretty sloppy… I’d be most interested in his early (acoustic) recordings…
And what about Rudolph Ganz? Did all of his early recs appear on CD? I don’t think so…

Hehe yeah, it’s definitely Dacic territory. I think he was more fun than good, but I still enjoy listening to him every now and then.

Da TM should look into the sort of terms Odradek (as one example) have.

What da fuck is dat?

I think Rudolph Ganz has been issued by Dante in the past, but that’s hard to get now

2 Likes

I’d love to get that CD…

Yes, APR is quite active in reissuing Piano recordings, and they just started a new series of French School. My only complaint with APR is that most of the time they would only offer you a selection, rather than the complete output, of a pianist, and they would release each set in 2-3 discs, so as to control the cost and promote the sale.

1 Like