Wagner and Mahler

Very different composers although their music has many similarities. Wagner should have written symphonies. That way the comparison would have been easier

2 Likes

or Mahler should have written operas?

2 Likes

Mahler always struck me as the kind of guy who writes really bad love poetry and never gets invited to parties.

That sounds like the plot of an opera!

I like symphonies more than opera

1 Like

Me too. A Mahler opera would have been fascinating though.

Agreed

Gud to zee u back Mef!

Interezting to zee u mo interezted in orcheztral muzik deze dayz

wut are yo viewz on da ztrengthz ov 88 vz orcheztral muzik?

I mean, wut type of emotionz, ztylez, etc. are mo idiomatic to each

Fazcinating to cumpare and cuntrazt

Lyk when Beethoven cumpozed and noted down an idea

Wut made him decide…oh diz iz an idea for an 88 zonata! or oh diz iz an idea for a ztring quartet! or a zymphony

1 Like

Good question. For me it’s just that I wasn’t really that knowledgable about the orchestral repertoire. So listening to the Bruckner symphonies for the first time, is quite an earth shattering experience when you have never heard the music before. I have just focused too much on the piano repertoire in the past.

Musically I guess that solo piano music is easier to write for if you are trying something completely new. For instance I don’t think it was by chance that Schoenberg’s op. 11 was written for solo piano. Orchestral music is just more “public” so to say.

The major advantage of orchestral music is the soronities and the colours.

Now I listen perhaps 60/40 to orchestral vs solo piano music.

1 Like

My favourite compoza ov all tym iz Chopin

I love Beethoven, Mahler, explored dem a lot

For economy ov exprezzion Chopin iz da winnah

BUT if I want to devote 30+ minz to one work den Beethoven + Mahler offer amazing rewardz

Dere iz alzo a pzychological factor to da zheer intimacy ov a zolo 88, more moving in zum wayz

1 Like

HAHAHaha da old school reunion , good to see both you OG mofoz. :sunglasses:

da occasional GriM

1 Like

Sup

1 Like

Hey Mr. Kaykov , da truestmofo himself :slight_smile: I’m working on Medtner op 25 no 2 these days, what a monster of a piece ( don’t expect to get through this sheeyat but wow.)

2 Likes

Rezpek yoself!

Be sure to post a rec when you got it up and running or even just a rape-thru