Which pieces have you obsessively compared recordings of the most?

Lately I like this Norma a lot:

2 Likes

Oh yeah, Kreso posted that disc but it fucks up during the norma.

Kocsis really rapez it- but in a good zenze (da SDC senze) :laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah - it’s not what I want but it’s quite a ride to listen through anyway.

I don’t mind Lewenthal, but if memory serves, he’s not awfully subtle about it. Ginzburg drops the arps section!!

Just relistened to Bolet. Such tonal control, but also :snail:. I find it profoundly moving in some places (and he nails the opera’s mood in the section everyone plays agitato), but sadly the last few minutes leave you with an impression of an old, unwell man clinging onto his dignity and not always succeeding. Like with Horowitz’s Liebestod, I absolutely know it’s a great pianist playing, but there are a lot of things wrong too.

I MUST return to this piece. It’s categorically in my top ten favourite piano pieces, and one of the few things I really want to perform that I’ve never got round to doing.

2 Likes

The Ginzburg rec I know has the arps, but they’re really played sotto voce and I don’t like it. He tries to be “musical” but he’s not following the opera. If you’re not going to follow how Bellini treats the themes you might as well play it in an overtly virtuosic and pianistic fashion.

Can someone UL da bullet?

I ztill lyk da DOC muzic and arts rec da absolute best, but maybe it’s because I’m not familiar da opera at all?

I will lizten diz CANDAIN suggeztd mofo now

but tru we definitely need zum nu blood fo thiz…specifically da FEZTINMOFO pristine interp qnd a FATMOFO ziterape

I don’t have the bullet cd to hand, but da tube ul of it is here:

Also, dis live rec pozz ma fav -

Alzo, very randomly in rezponze to new blood wanted…

moi, archive vid (poor audio and pic quality :frowning: )

Fuck, it’s ovah a decade since I last praxed dis mofo.

2 Likes

Actually FIZTAH - you have brought up a good point, may be worth a new thread or not but a good question is -

Which pieces do you feel have not been given their full due in any recordings thus far? A rec that does it full justice.

BIG ones for me include ALKAN - Scherzo Focoso, Le Preux, Comme le Vent

Liszt has many also - I think the Robert le Diable has yet to receive a rec that does it full justice.

There are some nice things in this Wakefield version, although the recording quality is not great. It sounds like a live recording where the microphone were too far back.

Hmm, I think Earl Wild did a great RlD.

Ah tru, one of tha OG festin vids. The other one is the Moses arps. Rezpec!

1 Like

He did well in it but I somehow doubt it would compare to hearing what Liszt himself did with it to gain such applause and raucous reception. :pimp:

I mean is that’s the yardstick, then probably his entire output (and the works of the other composers he played) have probably never been given their full due in recordings. Imagine Liszt playing the Norma for example!

2 Likes

Wild in Robert is my favourite non-Ziff Liszt rec!

Ziff should have played it. Tru.

Take this for example, compare the rhythm and flair with da LEZBO and you see how much of a pretentious Cunt he is for claiming his is the TRU WAY.

Actually I doubt Liszt would have had the same style as da Ziff - ie. the gypsy rhythmic flair. But he would have brought his own brilliant ebullience to stuff like this.

Pozzibly da firzt uze ov dat word on da SDC.
N alzo lykly da lazt :sunglasses:

This is actually my favourite opera. I think this is the only Tchaik which Liszt transcribed. I don’t like his playing here at all though, sorry.

I’ve a feeling (from memory) that my preferred rec of da tchaik polosheeyat is Thibaudet.