Which symphonies do you 'know'?

I suspect most of us are more than familiar with the standard repertoire of the piano, but how much of the Orchestral rep do you know? And by KNOW, I mean you could hum along with the entirety of the piece and not miss a beat.

I’ve been working on it - choosing one symphony a week to listen to several times until I ‘get’ it, but I still have a long way to go.

So here’s my list:

Bartok Concerto for Orch
Beethoven 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
Brahms 1, 2 and 4
Bruckner 3,4,5,7,8,9
Debussy La Mer
Dukas Sorcerer’s apprentice
Dvorak 9
Franck Symphony in D
Glazunov 4,5
Haydn 94 and 104
Holst Planets
Janacek Sinfonietta
Mahler 1,3,5
Mendelssohn 4
Mozart 40, 41
Prokofiev 1, 5
Rachmaninoff 2,3
Respighi Pines of Rome
Saint-Saens 3
Schubert 3,5,8,9
Schumann 1,2,3,4
Shostakovich 5,7
Sibelius 2,5
Tchaikovsky 5,6
Vaughan Williams Sinfonia Antarctica

I know the :kan: symphony

:blush:

Bartok Concerto for Orch
Beethoven 2,3,4,5,6,7,9
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique
Brahms 1
Bruckner 8
Dukas Sorcerer’s apprentice
Dvorak 9
Haydn don’t know numbers
Holst Planets
Liszt Faust Symphony-Truly Legendary
Mahler 8
Messiaen Turangilia
Mozart 40, 41
Respighi Pines of Rome
Saint-Saens 3
Schubert 8,9
Tchaikovsky 4,5,6

Interesting Question.

I hear that Dvorak 7>9. That right?

I don’t know any to be honest. I’m more into piano than music I think, at least at this stage. Only thing that I listen to with any regularity is Opera. And even then I only have one recording and each and it doesn’t help that I don’t understand german or italian so have NFI what’s going on.

Hahaha damn, which opera rec do you have? I only have one too, Callas’ Carmen. Someday I will listen to it all the way through, but for now I really can’t get myself to do it.

I’ll just write “symphonic rep” including symphonies

la mer
bruckner 8
bruckner 9
beethoven 7
mahler - songs of a wayfarer
takemitsu - november steps
takemitsu - archipelago s
ligeti - atmospheres
ligeti - lontano
ligeti - chamber concerto
lutoslawski - venetian games
dutilleux - timbres, espace, mouvement
varese - arcana
varese - ameriques
pärt - litany

tannhauser and the kleiber Tristan you posted, they’re the only completes I’ve got but I love em (musically at least). Also have random bits and pieces from Caruso and Chaliapin (italian and russian songs). Carmen would pozz work for me as it’s in french but I’m totally lost as far as plot is concerned in Wagner.

da EMI recently issued a 70 cd huge box set of complete callas rex at super great value. not something to be missed if u iz an opera freak.

cool, just randomly do you reckon they’ll ever reissue the ruby box? god I want it.

Difficult question but I guess only these:
Beethoven 5, 6, 7

I have listened to many many others, but alot of it is quite contemporary, making it almost impossible to remember everything. And a Bruckner symphony like no. 8 - wich I am quite familiar with lasts so long…

I forgot that I’m familiar with some Liszt Symph poems and randomly I think the Mazeppa is MUCH better than the TE version. Very evocative.

Harzhly dizagree. The only parts dat zound better in da ORCH is:

1. intro
  2. Transition to the octave recapitulation.

Much better there. Rambling, lame 2nd part IMO. If I ever unleazh diz, it vil be my own remix uzin orch material in tranz.

daim gud topic :rectum:

harzhly tha only zymph i kan nail iz zart 38 (my fav zymph of all :laughing: )

zart40

prok7

brotha5

rach2

Diezel Sacre of Zheeyat, ruzzian petah, n firecock

:ziff:

The symphony I know best is Schubert 9. I’ve basically got a complete auditory map of it in my head.

I suppose it depends on what you value; I think that the orchestral colour is a better setting for the work (a rare instance), I hadn’t thought about form. I don’t like the TE much.

Oh and I forgot about Schubert unfinished and Mendelssohn Italian. Still pretty n00bish but better than the goose egg I thought I had.

Now that I think about it, I hardly know symphonies THAT well… The only ones I know each and every theme of and everything you said are Rachmaninoff 2 and Berlioz symh fant. Oh and Respighi’s Feste Romane, but only cuz I played that one (as double bassist). And if Symphonic rep counts, I know the Ile of the Dead as good as any piano work.