51658822_2491765184170121_1684842578467356672_n

A bit :gman:?
Need to see it in context.

1 Like

DAYUM

zo

ticket refund cummah? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Iā€™ve read that itā€™s increasingly difficult for organisers to get her on stage. She wants to cancel a lot. So long as she doesnā€™t cancel her performance with Zilberstein which Iā€™m supposed to attend, because I never claimed my refund when Pletnev cancelled last year, though Iā€™d try to make the effort if it happened again.

ā€œAudiences are not important for me now and they never were. I have reached a stage when now I am even more terrified of house concerts where the public is very near. If I have to play when they are close, then I am quite afraid. It happened to meā€¦well, I was unwell and I was in California but I decided to play four-hands with a friend for his fatherā€™s birthday. We prepared and I arrived there and there were crowds of people there for the birthday party. I was terrified. I went upstairs and slept for two hours and then I came down. There were four people left. And I said ā€˜Now I can playā€™. OK, I hadnā€™t been playing, Iā€™d been ill ā€“ but I was terrified"

Supposedly the whole quote. I gathered it had something to do with her stage fright. But itā€™s still pretty disrespectful. Just record if you donā€™t want to play live. :gman:

Especially at her age, although she doesnā€™t seem to have diminished much technically. Even Friere is starting to sound a little ragged compared to how he was the first time I heard him in 2014.

Luckily Lupu is still in shape

I think heā€™s played/playing several times here this season, but really heā€™s like Pollini; thereā€™s no reason to hear either of them anymore.

He plays here in a few weeks as well but Iā€™ve reached the same conclusion, and will pass on the concert. I actually have enjoyed each concert Iā€™ve attended with him in recent years, but itā€™s just too crippled. Dude doesnā€™t even have tech to play a simple Schubert MM anymore, and if I complain about young pianists lacking a proper fortissimo Lupu barely even makes it above pianissimo.

I do regret missing Pollini in May though. I would have loved to be there simply for the CG value. :dong:

Argerich is not important for me and she never was. :japanese_goblin:

1 Like

Likewise. But I donā€™t like being cancelled on, so I hope she shows up on the 1st of April.

1 Like

Sheā€™s exciting, Iā€™ve always enjoyed that. In my view YW is a little bit like her, just less exciting and less musical. If I want to have a good time, I listen to Argerich.

This is about me as well. Iā€™ve heard her twice and both were very good. Itā€™s just that sheā€™s all fingers and instinct, what she does tends to go in through one ear and out through the other with me.

1 Like

Depends on the rep for me, her :nigga: PC2 is the best Iā€™ve heard.

My impression is the opposite, vis-a-vis YW and Argerich. I donā€™t think Argerich has really reached me even once. It doesnā€™t help that sheā€™s playing concerti most of the time, however.

Yeah they might need to be compared around the same age. For sure the concert / recording experience will differ. Personally I like that sheā€™s mostly instinct (as X says). Thatā€™s her strong suit and perhaps why so many have connected with her. I mean classical pianists in general donā€™t come across like that, and the ones who do at times, like Brand and Villa, are really thrilling (granted Brand et al had more to offer, but I mean about those moments when they really let go). How would Argerich sound if she tried to be more deliberate and musical? I donā€™t know, but again it reminds me of YW in how she went away from her strong suit (instincts) and tried to play Beethoven and Schumann.

The curious thing about Argerich, is that she makes a very strong impression on me as a woman; she has a super strong, magnetic personality, but for some reason this doesnā€™t come across at all for me in her playing, which is usually too impetuous for my taste. I guess you could point to this impetuousness as a sign of a strong personality, but itā€™s not impetuousness linked with intensity, which for me is the true indicator of the sort of force of personality Iā€™m interested in. As such, it often just comes across as a mad rush, as a kind of waywardness. A young (female) pianist from a similar mould is Buniatishvili, who also seems super charming in person (when she isnā€™t trying to come across as an intellectual), but whose playing is way too uncontrolled.

2 Likes

I had a friend in my teens who was a super fan and kept sending me recordings despite that I was rather ambivalent about them. I once asked him to explain what he liked so much about her, and then followed a long letter where the word ā€œsexyā€ featured about 2000 times. =)

I have no particular opinion of her as a person, but I do think her musical personality is rather bitchy. Itā€™s as if she doesnā€™t give a damn. I donā€™t think sheā€™s pianistically careless, but I do think she is musically (and I think she got that from Gulda, who also comes across a bit like that).

haha damn now thatā€™s an insult. To me oneā€™s a talent, the other is just part of contemporary celebrity culture, which is a large part of DG as well.

Yeah thatā€™s a good point, but I suppose it comes down to your own personality, as in how you respond to it. For example Iā€™ve talked to people who donā€™t find Brand intense, and that just doesnā€™t make sense to me. Certain personalities just wonā€™t respond to others. Weā€™re all like that and it makes a market.

1 Like

In my mind, sheā€™s similar to Gould in that theyā€™re both phenomenal pianists but their ideas tend to grate. Her rubato can be so wayward and surging, it sounds drunk. She can be slapdash but also tender.
I think Iā€™ve mentioned the only time Iā€™ve heard her live was Prok 3 with Dutoit. I mehed at the program but at least itā€™ll be exciting I thought. Nothing. No mad dash at the end, dead in time. Amazing fingers and reviews were all good of course but wasnā€™t energised which is the very least I would have thought from her. Andsnes of all people managed to raise my pulse at the end of rach 3!

As a person, Iā€™ve always thought she was a bitch so that quote really doesnā€™t surprise me. I wonder why ABC put it up? Unless they wanted to stir up some cuntraversy?

1 Like

Surging or searching?

Surging sounds like a positive, searching sounds aimless.