Lesser Known Liszt :pimp: :pimp: :pimp:

Turns out it’s on this compilation, which I have a vague memory of having seen uploaded here? Maybe you have it already?

pimpleg

Yes, that looks familar. I’ll let you know if I don’t have it.

Petri rocks actually. I still don’t like him, but it’s no where near as crude as I expected it to be.

:dong:

That’s for the pun

The Doc broadcast a Live Hugonauts during late 90s. BBC has a copy listed in british archives. To lazy to request a copy through british archives copying service. Would be interesting to hear though…

1 Like

I’m almost sure that’s Thalberg alas. He did play the Liszt in 2014 or so however, at a single concert at kreso’s address 8 miles from nowhere. No recording, but I had the rep confirmed with MAH himself.

Can anyone explain the point in playing such a legendary work only once then discarding to oblivion?!?

Da DOC works in mysterious ways

4 Likes

He apparently said he thought it was crap and that he wouldn’t bother with it again fwiw :lib:

1 Like

His perf was crap or the piece? :lib:

:slight_smile:

I’ve been puzzled by that comment ever since. It’s not crap and I’m positive Mr. Marc-André-I-will-play-Hexameron-all-over-the-world-thrice-Hamelin would know that. The friend I asked to talk to him about it certainly does detest it however and anything Liszt in general, and the phrasing too sounded a lot more like him than how I would imagined MAH putting it.

Gensui vid :sunglasses:

Has anyone compared the Hough rec of this to Howard’s? Both on Hyperion

Howard’s is just laughable by comparison.

This channel offers midi score-vids of a lot of rare Liszt - and to be honest I prefer many of them over Howard’s recs :pimp::whale:

3 Likes

Check out this guy’s channel also - he does Score-Vids of rare Liszt paraphrases etc.

He’s posted new ones recently. Good rec choices too by the looks of it, including some Clidat.

Fun fact: Hough played this at the very first piano recital I attended (1993). :+1:

1 Like

Damn! Left an impression?

Not one bit. :slight_smile: I was just ten years old, it was a birthday present from my brother to dad so I just tagged along not to be left alone at home I suppose. All I remember from the concert is how he played one of the works with just the left hand (tru prob La Juive :sunglasses:), which I have a diffuse image of in my head.

Just three years later I heard Hamelin in recital however, and that one was on my own accord. I went with my brother and we were both completely floored afterwards.

Yeah, Hough’s is good. The first ever piece with interlocking chromatic octs!

1 Like

WIKID piece

Hehe, yes. There’s been a live version by Idil Biret up on yt for a few years.