Symphony recommendations

heard the Walton 1st last winter live over here in Rochacha…blew me the fuck away. Great piece. Do love many mentioned. Mahler 3 with Bernstein from the 60s NYP. Love Prok 5,2,3,6 etc etc

1 Like

Tru, da Walton and awezome zong ezpecially da firzt mov. :nigga: intensity.

http://www.classical-music.com/article/20-greatest-symphonies-all-time

Deze covah da BBC Muzik poll article dey did zurveyin loadz ov conductahz on da greatezt zymph

Intereztin choicez and makez u wundah what influenced deir choicez

Are dey really da bezt zymphz or iz dere an appeal and particular allure to conductin dem?

Weird. :nigga: 6 and no 5?
Shosta 8 or 10 are his greatest by common consent. :man_shrugging:

Common concenzuz?

Common conzent impliez dat all da otha zymphz bezidez 8 n 10 haf to rape yo azz to get u to lizn to dem? :whale:

ergh I thought about that term as zoon az I wrote it.

Bazed on what I’ve read, mofoz zeem to hold 8 or 10 in the highezt regard. But 5 certainly da mozt popular I would think.

One ov da mozt intereztin iz da Mozart 41 Jupitah :ringer_planet:

I vil haf to lizten to diz one mo

As someone who struggles to get anywhere with Mahler (seems to be all orchestration and no structure to me, not that I bothered to go very far with him), I did like the quasi-Mahlerian E major symph by Hans Rott.

1 Like

Tru dat iz a wikid example.

I love Mahler but he iz clearly not for everyone.

And no he iz not juz all ‘zhallow orcheztration’ , u juz haf to enjoy hiz harmonic n melodic vocabulary to get into it

An early Mahler advocate - Bruno Walter - alzo wrote a zolid zymph in a very Mahler influenced ztyle, I enjoy da finale even if it iz zumwut Mahler-lite.

Yes, I don’t doubt there’s more to Mahler than I think, but he’s just not really my cup of tea.

Has anyone mentioned the Saint-Saens ‘Organ’ symphony yet?

1 Like

Hahah harzhly neva liztened all da way thro, I vil now, zoundz wikid

1 Like

I haf alwayz loved da danze macabre

He wrote 3 zymphz(pluz mo zheeyatz) zo I feel naturally inclined to pay rezpecx n alzo check out hiz othaz -

Lezz memorable …da A minah one haf a cool vibe tho pozz

Do you know da early quartet? Dam that’s an awkward bitch to play. Some awezome things but near impossible to hang together, he was 16…

But perhaps mixed with a Chinese flavour?

Well, it’s better than the symphonies (if only because it’s shorter :whale:), but doesn’t do anything for me I’m afraid. As I say, I’m sure it’s a shortcoming on my side.

My piano teacher played me the quartet once with the injunction not to judge people by their sixteen-year-old artistic outpourings unless they’re Mendelssohn!

Haha da Mahler 88 quartet wuz heavily featured in a zcene in Zhuttah Izland, wikid movie tru

1 Like

How can you not like Mahler? Do you like Bruckner, Strauss, Brahms, Wagner and early Schoenberg?

I find Mahler to be too emotional and over-sensitive, in a sort of tasteless way. His music just makes me feel queasy - one of the very few composers I’ll actively turn off the radio for. Don’t like Bruckner, but like all the others you mention.

1 Like

I have never heard a complete work by Mahler, but the bits and pieces I’ve listened to have given me the exact same impression. One day I’ll get to him - but I’m not in a hurry to do so.

1 Like

I’ve read a few sentences of Faulkner, but it seems kind of rambling and incoherent. Maybe one day I’ll try again.

:roll_eyes: :smiley:

1 Like