Symphony recommendations

I’m trying to broaden my horizons and listen to more orchestral rep. I think it’s good for your ear too. I don’t actually know that many symphonies, here’s a list of those I know well:

Beethoven 3,5,6,9

Brahms 4

Mozart – G minor 25, G minor 40

Schubert – Unfinished

Mendelssohn – Italian

Liszt - Faust

Saint Saens – Organ

Dvorak – New World

Mahler – 2nd

Rachmaninoff – E minor

I know a movement here and there from Haydn (Surprise, Farewell), Berlioz (symphonie fantasique) and Tchaikovsky (5 and 6) but not the whole works. I’ve listened to Shostakovich’s Leningrad a few times and liked it, but can’t say I really know it. Ditto for pieces I’ve actually heard live like Tchaik 4, Strauss Alpine and Brahms 1st. Of symphonies I’ve not mentioned above, which would you recommend?

I would also recommend sum of da Tchaik symphonic poems, mofo.
Fo shoh go liszten to his symphonies 4, 5 n 6.

Also da Shosty 5th symphony is a clazzic.

I know quite a lot of symphonic poems and concert overtures but I’m specifically talking about symphonies here. I actually don’t like the Tchaik 4th very much, remember it being super bombastic. It’s been at least 8 years since I saw it (have left at intermission for any subsequent performance), so maybe it’s time for a reassessment.

I know a lot more about romantic era symphonies than any other era but if you like those I could recommend some more obscure gems
My favourite Mahler after the 2nd is the 6th.

This Stenhammar Symphony takes me places.

Also see if either of the 1st 2 Halvorsen Symphonies grab you at all -

They’re not groundbreaking works, a lot of music in the early 20th century remained stubbornly tonal and was subsequently forgotten.
Sure there’s a lot of forgettable music out there, but to me these are memorable and emotionally powerful works that each offer an experience I come back to almost as often as many mainstream symphonies.

Thanks for the suggestions, I‘ve never heard of these composers.

Even I can make a recommendation here, if a mundane one - LvB 7. In the quasi symphony department also Harold en Italie, and just about anything from Rameau, Dittersdorf, Vivaldi, Corelli etc.

I finally listened to the first symphony last week, and liked it so I can add the 7th to the cue list.

I would add to your list:

Beethoven 7
Schubert 9
Brahms 1, 2, 3 (start maybe with 2)
Bruckner 7, 8
Mahler 4
Franck
Tchaikovsky 4, 5, 6

Thanks Kreso, that’s quite a list!
I reckon I’ve only ever listened to the Beethoven 7th once or twice in my life, so I’ll start there. Brahms 1 I like, and have listened to very recently, so that one should be quite easy to become familiar with.

I love Beethoven 7! It’s probably my favorite Beethoven symphony, not counting 9th, which is out of this world (and together with Mahler 2nd one of my favorite piece of music). I advice Carlos Kleiber for it.

Speaking about Mahler, his 4th is probably the “easisest” to listen, reminding me on Beethoven Pastoral Symphony. Of, I forgot Mahler 1, Titan, which is also quite simple to understand on firsf hearing…

Bruckner 7 is my favorite, but with him, it just needs more time and more replay. But when you enter to that world, it’s quite fullfiling…

Some of my favourite symphonic noises are not on your list:

Sibelius 5, 7
Mahler 4, 9, Das Lied von der Erde
Bruckner 7, 9
Debussy La mer

I’ve heard a lot of these, but not enough to know them. However, Sibelius is a composer I’ve almost completely neglected (even his famous Violin concerto I don’t really know). I’ll probably prioritise one of those. For la mer, I remember a recording by Celibidache I liked (must’ve been around 2010), I’ll have to dig that one up.

IMO Celi is hardly a good choice because he tends to terribly slow down things, especially later in his life. I like this performance:

As for Sibelius, I “discovered” his music only after I was 40…but every year since, I appreciate him more, and now I like his symphonies even more than Bruckner’s or Mahler’s! For me, it’s also closely connected with experiencing nature (I live in the countryside now for 5 years).

This Celi rec is from the 40s, but obviously I don’t know the piece well enough to know if he’s dragging. I’ll check out the Muti rec when I have a free moment over the next couple of days.

Oooh, this is my area of expertise. Let me know what you want to start with and I’ll post great recs for you.

Tchaikovsky 5 & 6
Shostakovich 4, 5, 7, 8, 10
Prokofiev 1, 5
Schubert 3, 5, 9
Brahms 1 & 2
Beethoven 1, 2, 4, 7, 8
Franck
Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique, La Damnation de Faust
Mozart 38, 41
Dvorak 6, 7, 8
Bartok Concerto for Orchestra
Rimsky Scheherazade
Mahler ALL
Bruckner 3-9
Ravel, Daphnis et Chloé, Rhapsodie espagnole
Sibelius 2,4,5,7
Debussy La Mer
Suk #2
Janacek Taras Bulba / Sinfonietta
Schumann 2, 3 & 4
Scriabin 3, 4
Smetana Ma Vlast
Stravinsky Rite of Spring
Strauss Ein Heldenleben
Elgar Vars
Vaughan williams 3 & 6

…etc

Randomly I have some crazy huge symphony boxsets I’ve been wanting to share, but I was worried nobody would DL. Stuff like complete Munch, Solti, Monteux, NYPhil boxes, Bohm, etc. I’ll post a couple and see if there’s any interest.

Maybe the 5 easiest to get into? Not including Beethoven 7th, Sibelius 5 or Debussy La Mer (though you’re welcome to upload any recs of those that you like!). Thanks heaps!

oh man I listen to more orchestral stuff than anything else.

Haydn - all 104 but maybe Paris and London sets. For earlier stuff, personal fav is the gmin no.39.
Mozart - 39-41
Beethoven - all
Schubert - 8,9
Mendelssohn - 3,4,5
Berlioz - Symphony Fantastique
Schumann - if you like Schumann, all of them. personal fav is 2 (slow mov is amazing!) and 3 (4th mov is amazing!)
Brahms - all
Borodin - 2
Tchaikovsky - 4,5,6 (I like Manfred too)
Sains Sains - 3
Rimsky Korsakov - Scheherezade
Dvorak - 7,8,9
Bruckner - 4,7
Rachmaninoff - 2
Mahler - all
Debussy - la Mer
VW - 1,5
Elgar - 1,2
Sibelius - everyone loves 2 but not my fav (I like 1), 5,7.
Prokofiev - 1,5,6
Shostakovich - 1,5,7,8,10

prok 7 iz mah perzonal fav but prok 6 zpecifically tha firzt mvt iz mazziv n quite moody n gud if u iz in tha ryt mindzet :pimp:

haha maybe should’ve asked for 5 symph recommendations. I used to know Scheherazade back in the day from the ballet, but have mostly forgotten it. Randomly, I don’t think I’ve ever listened to any of the Prok symphs.