Britizh Piano Muzik

Who are yo fave Britizh 88 cumpozaz?

Not dizcuzzd here often and I didn’t know much until exploring n dizcoverin dere iz MUCH wikidnezz out dere

Ireland -

Bowen -

Reynoldz -

Moeran -

Bridge -

Dere iz many mo but deze a few good ztartahz

4 Likes

Lennox Berkeley?

Cyril Scott -

2 Likes

Jolly good choices all.

John Ogdon’s compositions are excellent.

3 Likes

Ogdon alzo actually played deze Alwyn fantazy waltzez.

Deze actually zound lyka bit ov a Britizh Prick.

I played these rather sweet miniatures when I was 14 or 15.

2 Likes

Some of the majors (Holst, Vaughan Williams, Bax, Britten) wrote some decent piano music. Also John McCabe wrote some good stuff, even though he was better known as a performer.

1 Like

Anything by Britten? I like the piano concerto

2 Likes

Well there’s the Holiday Diary for instance, also a set of Lullabies, but my favourite solo piano work of his is actually a set of waltzes he wrote when he was 9 or something like that. May not seem like much, and it’s not, but they’re really quirky and inventive.

These?

1 Like

Yeah, that’s them.

Tbh, apart from the fact I considah myself Scottish rather than British, I might haff pozted a compo or two of mine here :sunglasses:

Grotesquely immodest, but I legit think I’ve written some decent stuff.

3 Likes

Better rec ->

3000 ziffros deducted if @Ashley_Tervort can’t name the pianist :wink:

2 Likes

This is quite a nice Britten work:

4 Likes

Cover

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-LQJqygYeH4fvrDqlrEieX_FpmN6_3FN

2 Likes

Tru da Bridge zon actually a wikid zong. As is da cello zon but people’s not into chamber muzic.

Hate Britten except for a very few early works.

Da concert allegro da major Elgar zolo 88 work. Havent listened to it properly but he hated the 88 so dun know how effective it is. My teacher said it is quite characteristic though.

Da Bowen preludes I have enjoyed what I’ve heard. Actually have some zcorez zigned by him picked up cheap dedicated to zumone I dun know.

1 Like

Any recommendation of Holst (besides the piano version of the Planets) and RVW?

Seems most of the discussion here are on 20C British composers. It is worthy of noting that several British composers also contribute to the romantic piano concerto genre, such as Stanford, William Bennett, and Somervell. York Bowen’s concertos are also quite romantic although he is mainly active in the early 20C as a composer.

2 Likes

Elgar’s complete piano works, played by John McCabe
(mostly charming salon pieces)

1 Like

Fitzwilliam virginal book then

2 Likes