Chop 10/4 qualifier

Yeah, the great thing about music is there are no absolutes, you can have things which grab you more for whichever reason, and you’ll prioritize that stuff first.

Not sure what I would learn if I do an all Rach album, maybe Sonata 2, Op. 39 Etz and sum trannies.

Der iz also the extra-compositional factor of melodic gift and emotional impact. For me, Rach is a 10/10 in dat department.

3 Likes

Rach would have composed more if he didn’t have to earn money as a peniszt. He was already going into more modernist territory with Conc 4.

Also, Pag Rhappa is dope as fuck. Common, Var. 18 is gensui. Isn’t it a inversion of the main theme?

1 Like

Yeah! I did the Pag Rappah way back, it’s pretty good. I sorta like the 3rd concerto but I’m not investing time in learning it unless it’s for an on-demand gig.

I like many parts of that concerto and Rach’s own amazing rec.

I wish we had Rach doing more of his solo stuff.

Haha my fave short compo: POLKA VR

The tru cadenza for Rach 3 is epic sheeyat. When I listen, I can’t help pretend and do some air piano.

Da Vol Rach 3 Cadenza is lush and powerful as fuck.

2 Likes

You like the huge caddy more than the tight slim caddy?

I know dere are actually people that program the big caddy as a stand alone work (wtf).

There certainly would be a ton more interesting rep dat I need to cover before I get in to deep dive into Rach, if it never happens - no biggie imho.

The slimmer caddy fits more seamlessly, but on its own the chordal caddy is mo thrilling.

Da Lazarbear Conc 3 caddy is pretty epic, too.

I still can’t get over the Horowitz/Rodzinski 1944 rec.

I also really like Rach’s Paraphrase on Polka Italienne. Dats a fun encore piece.

Also da Oriental Sketch has some fun piano textures.

1 Like

How does Rach’s music sit in the hands for a pro? Is it comfortable to play, irrespective of the athleticism required?

It’s comfy and much easier to voice than Scriabin and Chop. Lots of possibilities for interp because it’s not bogged down by academic bs “traditions”

:lezbo:

1 Like

That’s probably another factor in it’s popularity with pianists. It’s virtuosic but not a pain in the anus.

Only da sdc wud tell me da :rocky: iz zheeyat :dong:

Dat said I now realize there iz only certain peniztz in certain zongz dat I actually enjoy

2 Likes

Word. I can’t believe I need to defend Rach.

2 Likes

Maybe… but some of the ever-changing figurations (esp in the concerti) can be bitchy to memorize.

I like how the textures tend to balance themselves without becoming bass-heavy.

Not “sheeyat”, just can’t be placed alongside Bach, Beethoven, Liszt and Scriabin imho. One could like something reasonably enough without trying to rank it as close to “best ever”.

Also, it’s sorta my personal opinion based on the stuff I chose to study, perform and record.

At any rate… dat was beastly

2 Likes

Hahaha n now there iz dat 10/4 mofo dat make actually defend da holy one :zif:

2 Likes

Da holy one needs no defending. His :pimp: recz speak loudah than any wordz.

3 Likes