Da MATURE LEAF capcunt šŸ‚

I mean, I know what I like. Not petty whatsoeverā€¦ And tru, Iā€™m listening as an opinionated semi-pro, having studied, performed and even recorded sum of those Chopin works.

Iā€™m not the biggest fan of his Chopin (trumomma really dislikes his playing, period) but there ARE a number of recs of his that I really like, such as:

I would not place him alongside other golden age mofos like Horowitz, Rachmaninoff, Friedman, Feinbergā€¦ or even Cziffraā€¦

To each his own

Well, if trumomma doesnā€™t like him, then that settles it.

No, but to say someone canā€™t play something implies that you can assess his playing objectively. Meaning, you know how Chopin has to go and your way is the only correct way.

If you say, you know, Iā€™m not a fan of his approach or itā€™s not how I think Chopin should be played or I prefer the Pre-Soviet Russian style of playingā€¦ thatā€™s a whole different ball game.

You can they say this is all semantics, but itā€™s not. Canā€™t play and to each his own are not the same thing.

3 Likes

Well I never said he canā€™t play something. Not a big fan of his Chopin but do enjoy certain recs. Iā€™m not Da type of mofo to dismiss any artist, hell, I gave some LEZBO recs a chance :dong:

And tru, I trust Da trumomma because so far, I havenā€™t had a better mentor/piano prof. Wooo!

Excuse me. When applied to ABM thatā€™s a flat out insult.

1 Like

Hmm no it isnā€™t. Some of the biggest talent passes through the current Chopin comp. At any rate, Iā€™m not arguing. Yes Iā€™m not a huge fan of the Michelangeli, end of story.

I am entitled to my opinion. Also, I never said he canā€™t play XY or Z.

Yā€™all can go on and argue with @da_zepp , I already voiced my (informed) opinion.

Trif has a huge rep. Why? He doesnā€™t spend much time living with a piece before he performs it. I mean how could he? He gives 120 concerts a year.

1 Like

Tru, Da Trif best playing a bit gensui.

To me that actually makes him an inferior musician.

I think there are no ā€œrulesā€ in music. A highly limited rep may not make you a better musician.

Some of Da greatest on most imaginative pianists in history had an enormous rep (and presumably, dong)

Anton Rubinstein, Ignaz Friedman, Josef Hofmann, Vladimir Horowitz before 1925, come to mind.

Hofmannā€™s craftsmanship in his most successful records is out-of-this-world.

A small rep basically more a symptom of laziness than anything else imho.

Cortot called Michelangeli the new Liszt. Iā€™ll side with his opinion over da Zepp and Trumomma. But thatā€™s just we. What do I know?

1 Like

I donā€™t need to defer to anyoneā€™s opinion, Iā€™m entitled to enjoy certain recs and dislike others, itā€™s a matter of taste and personal preference. I have certain qualifications in the field as well.

At any rate, just enjoy what you like. Dere are no absolutes in music (aside from da Lesboā€™s Liszt, dat, is 90% sheeyat)

Not sure what youā€™re arguing here :dong:

1 Like

Certain artists are blessed with insane hype, what can I say.
Not sure if a ā€œnew Lisztā€ can have a grand total of zero Liszt Etudes, large scale solo works or transcriptions in their rep. :fire:

And again, thatā€™s not a critique on my part, just pointing out some fallacies in your arguments. Some people may not like every note that every hyped artist recorded, and they may even have valid reasons for that. :dong:

Fiorentino > Michelangeli

:sunglasses:

Ok. Ignaz Friedmanā€™s playing is variable. Sometimes genzui. Sometimes zheeyat. Hofmann sometimes played truly genzui and sometimes like a clown. Rachā€™s Chopin Scherzo No.3 has elements that are just weird. Da Ho playing during his golden age was smooth and forgettable.

Thatā€™s cool with you? Itā€™s just my opinion, right?

Thatā€™s actually not an argument. Iā€™m reporting what Cortot said. Take it up with him, one of the most genzui musicians to ever live.

All trueā€¦ which goes to say, music is perceived differently by everyone. Not sure why you may have such a problem with my opinions, youā€™re welcome to enjoy whatever you like.

Hmmm I donā€™t need to read a review to make up my own mind, I trust my own ears and taste. Not sure what is so hard to understandā€¦ :dong:

Also, I didnā€™t even criticize much of Michelangeliā€™s only, only the 5 or so Chopin works in his tiny rep :dong: , namely: Sonata 2, Scherzo 2, Fantasy Op 49, Ballade 1. All not to my taste.

Chopin Sonata No. 2, Ravel Gaspard de la Nuit, Brotha 32, Chopin Bal 1, Scherzo No. 2, All of the Debussy Preludes, Images, Bach-Busoni Chaconne, Brahms Paganini, All four Brahms Ballades, Brotha 11 & 12 Zons, Schumann Fasschinschwank is nothing to sneeze at.

Those arenā€™t serious enough works for you?

Sorry he doesnā€™t play the Sabre Dance or da Rigoletto.

I very much like the Bach-Buz Chaconne, Tocc in D minor, Ravel Gaspard, Brahms Paganini, Beethoven Sonata Op 2 No 3 (op 111 is not to my taste, and yes, Iā€™ve played it), Liszt Totentanz, Concerto 1

His Grieg Concerto recs are not bad. I likely heard every existing Michelangeli rec btw.

Again, saying ABM is like a Chopin Comp Level is like me saying you play a little better than da Wim.

Da Poon played at da Chop Comp, for Christā€™s sake.