Famous pianists that you randomly don't like

Both, I would assume.
Although I did say “don’t like” (as opposed to saying dislike) in the title, which should include the inoffensively meh pianists.

I actually never understood the fuss about Casadesus’s Mozart concertos. I know a lot of people regard them as classics, but all I hear is dry and detached playing with very little variation in dynamics. Szell’s orchestra accompaniment is really top notch though.

1 Like

Haven’t heard his Zart but his Ravel is pretty incredible.

Brendel…

just… don’t get it. Not specially sensitive. Sheeyat Technique no matter how old the recording or video is. Annoying that he is doing this kind of “Ear school” to teach people to listen music and sell this image of a great connosieur. He should listen to himself first…

50% of Aimard things are exciting as a cold brick. Love the Ligeti and some Messiaen.

85% of Schiff for obvious reasons… then I came across his live Rec of Schumann 3rd Sonata and found it marvelous!!! I also like some of his Bartok (no the concerti)

H Grimaud… booring and stiff sound.

Martin Stadtfeld… just… the biggest crap in the history of german classical market.

G. Anda, not attracted to his playing

F. Gulda, not interested (dont kill me)

F. Say, juz… B-)

D. Trifonov, most of his stuff YES i DONT LIKE. I Was quite surprised on his Liszt Sonata though and I really enjoyed it. Nothing from the Tchaikcomp touched me.

A. Hewitt, juz sheeyat.

I like Moiseiwitsch, a good deal. But I whish I would love him as much as some of the people I know who go crazy for him. Most of them, quite respectable fellows like da Doc, my old teacher, and other fine pianists.

S. Richter. I like maybe 40% from his rec. sadly never listen him live. In any case I really think he is a Genius and deserves being called as such.

J. Thibaudet, like him less every year.

M. Pollini, only the very old stuff.

I kinda felt like that until i started listening to all the bootlegs Chris was posting. :rectum: is now probably my favorite classical pianist. 8)

Haha, da :rectum: CONVERSION !!!

NOR, what do you want to hear? I’ll post up some classic Richter sheeyats

I meant actually listening him in Live not just a live recording. I have plenty actually, most of them from what you post lol

Hahaha great topic guys…

Brendel, Barenboim, Perahia, Ogdon, Gulda, Hewitt, de Larrocha
Also Bolet, never could understand what’s so great about him.

To a lesser extent even Cziffra, he haz absolutely incredible stuff, but a lot of crap too.

In Bolet’s case, most of his well known recs are from his later years. Find some of his earlier stuff or some bootlegs/broadcasts, and you’ll finally understand why he’s considered great.

de Larrocha is a super fine pianist!!

I can’t stand Jeno Jando.

Every single recording I hear of his, I’m like “WTF is this shit”. Pretty much sounds like someone banging keys, completely hollow tone with no soul.

I also have never enjoyed Argerich. There are very few recordings of hers that speak to me (Her Jeux D’eau is wonderful).

Aside from that? Fazil Say is a nut job and Rosalyn Tureck plays like she’s teaching a class, just too cranial.

Many people dislike him, but I’m a Brendel fan simply because of his deep tone for Schubert in particular. Does he lack excitement? Definitely, but his Schubert is mature, deep and not one note is played sparingly; every note has meaning. But for the more exciting repertoire, can’t really listen to him.

I’d also add Hamelin even though I have a lot of respect for him, Andsnes as talented as he is simply because I think he lacks any Russian sound, ability to twist rhythms and over romanticizes Rachmaninoff to the point where it doesn’t sound genuine to me.

Of course, my favorite pianist is Ashkenazy, who many of you don’t like. But I think that he has as much control as anyone we’ve heard and his earlier recordings were excellent. Unfortunately he’s made some terrible recordings where he cranked out rep with terrible mic’ing/pianos.

1 Like

I think Brendel’s early recordings are pretty exciting without become farcical like some other pianists. For example the Mephisto Waltz is probably the best version I’ve heard. It actually sounds like music.
Personally, I love Ashkenazy too. One of the most stunning techniques. There’s that video of him playing the tchaikovsky 1st during the competition, the most incredible scale playing in the third movement. Never heard anyone play it like that. The only time I’ve ever been truly starstruck was when I met Ashkenazy at Kissin’s recital in Sydney, I told him how much I loved his Chopin F minor concerto performance from the chopin competition (my favourite version) but he said he didn’t like it.

Agreed, that Tchaik vid is electrifying. Funny about Ashkenazy not liking it; he’s such a perfectionist.

Horowitz didn’t like a lot of his recordings as well.

Early Askhenazy is some of the best playing I have ever heard. Especially the live Scriabin-bootlegs Koji posted 8)

1 Like

da Poon.

2 Likes

Hahahahaha.

Da poon finally makes it to the bigtime, by being dissed in this thread.

3 Likes

Da whale

Hahaha daim, da Mart banhammah cummah?!

3 Likes

I credit Brendel with putting me off Beethoven completely when I was a kid trying to learn Eroica variations. I bought his 3CD recording of the complete Brotha variations, and was so disgusted I had my mother give it away to the local church collection.

2 Likes

Same here!

I thought Beethoven was a little bitch after hearing this dude snooze through the Waldstein etc.

I also do not like Schnabel’s Beethoven for that matter. Same goes for much of Arrau.

Hell, even Gilels sounds limp in Beethoven after Da gold standard :rectum:

Beethoven needs to have balls and intensity

I stand by my tempo choices in Da Op 111 and plan on doing Da 109, 110, 111 lord of the cock ring brotha trilogy eventually

2 Likes