Greatest Bach Pianists

Da Jal was randomly the first mofo to tell da TM to calm down with his psychosis.
Clearly a very perspicacious mofo :doc:

1 Like
  1. Feinberg
  2. Gieseking
  1. Gould
  2. Pogorelich (English Suites 2 & 3)
  3. David Fray
  4. Gavrilov
  5. Evgeni Kor0liov

Top 10 Bach pianists:

1. Sokolov
  2. Sokolov
  3. Sokolov
  4. Sokolov
  5. Feinberg
  6. Sokolov
  7. Sokolov
  8. Pogorelich
  9. Argerich
  10. Sokolov

Top 5 WTCs

1. Richter Melodiya/Eurodisc (Book I) & Sokolov Bellinzona/Rome/Birmingham (Book II)
  2. Feinberg CCCP (both)
  3. Fischer HMV (both)
  4. Sokolov Milan/Munich/Milan (Book I) & Richter Melodiya/Eurodisc (Book II)
  5. Schiff NYC 2012 (Book I) & Stockholm 2014 (Book II)

Many wildcards here since I find the first two selections so superior that I rarely listen to anything else. I donā€™t recall how either Gieseking or Yudina sound at all for instance.

Top 5 Goldbergs

1. Schiff Neumarkt 1990
  2. Rana Montpellier 2016
  3. Schiff Vienna 1985
  4. Babayan Verbier 2014
  5. Schiff NYC 2013

Bonus: Top 2 Art of the Fugues

1. Sokolov Melodiya
  2. Lifschitz Orfeo

If I were to update my list, I would maybe take Sokolov off entirely, Interesting doesnā€™t make up for tasteless playing. IMO

Gould also has mostly dropped off my radar. Iā€™d put Gieseking in his place.

Hmm, I really like Sokolov in Bach that requires a strong dance rhythm like the Italian concerto.
I think Fiorentino is still my favourite Bach in general.
Of young pianists I really love Edna Stern and David Fray.
Grosvenor played a fantastic 5th French Suite on the weekend too; strong dance rhythm, great polyphonic control and beautiful expression in the Sarabande.

wow I never thought I would see the word tasteless linked to Sokolov. Pogorelich, Mustonen, Afanassiev, YW, of course. But Sokolov? It just shows how varied opinions can be. Have you heard him in recital?

The only negative thing I can find to say about Sokolovā€™s Bach is that he has a tendency to become static and overly formal when the tempo is slow. But otherwise itā€™s the sheer inventiveness of his playing which makes it so compelling, where every voice is given its own character and is contrasted against what goes on around it. I think heā€™s really found the key both to artistic Bach playing and the imposing baroque style it represents, and fused them in to what is one of the wonders of modern piano playing. Itā€™s Gouldā€™s ideas, turned in to music.

Not every performance heā€™s given is great of course, but what Iā€™m thinking about when I put Sokolov so highly in this repertoire is things like this:

youtu.be/xNiCzOzbm7Y

or this:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZxAj4to-aQ4

For the Canadian, in case heā€™s not familiar with it: youtu.be/1UhaK1_rF6U

Iā€™ve never heard him in person. That may be the difference. Of course I like some of what he does. But I tend to enjoy him more in the moment than after repeated listening.

Anyway, the ā€˜tastelessā€™ comment was mostly directed toward his Art of Fugue, which xsdc ranked #1. Iā€™ve never loved it. And believe me, Iā€™ve tried.

Wut aboutā€¦

Blechacz
Fray
Anderszewski
Olafsson
Perahia

Enjoyed zum ov deir Bach in recent yrz.

:neutral_face:

:star::star::star::star:

:star::star::star:

:star:

Olafsson is odd. I found his DG CD compelling too, but it almost has a crossover feel to it. Friends who have attended his concerts have been uniformly disappointed however, and I listened to a recent recital myself just a few days ago which kinda sucked.

Why no love fo Perahia? he iz a bit underrated on diz forum

I did have a little love for him. :wink:

I donā€™t think heā€™s bad by any stretch, I just donā€™t find him either as convincing or interesting as the others. Not as much today, but historically thereā€™s also something about his character at the piano which makes my stomach turn. I loved his Mozart PC set in my teens, but today I simply canā€™t listen to it.

1 Like

He is da PARIAH :dong:

1 Like

I put on his E min Partita now since you brought him up (YouTube), and I have to concede itā€™s better than I remembered. His piano playing in particular is of a supreme quality, and musically you canā€™t fault him. But I have to say the note maneuvering of it is also all that speaks to me in the performances. As with Ohlsson for instance the artistry behind it strikes me as bland an uninteresting. You canā€™t deliver the notes on the page any better than this, as it were, but maybe thatā€™s ultimately not the important part.

This is how I react to it at least, you might feel differently of course.

Tru he iz a very ztraight forward and ā€˜prettyā€™ pianizt.

Not revelatory but reliable and if u want zomezheeyat zmooth and ztreamlyned tiz a gud option.

Thatā€™s a good way of putting it I think.

The pretty part is related to what bothers me with his early Mozart playing. Not as much today, but you still have those rounded phrases etc here and there.

Well backing out to a macrozcoping picture - u haf clearly liztened to mo recz den me and haf mo awarenezz ov da ā€˜choicezā€™ and ā€˜optionzā€™ available to lizten to.

But to uze a cliche - when u juz want to lizten to ā€˜da muzikā€™ in a mainztream, pretty, well-crafted way, he iz juz a very reliable pianizt in my experience.

Truuuu

1 Like