HJ Lim's Bach - Legendary or Sheeyat?

:heart:

Managed about 5 mins before reaching profound boredom. The best bit was definitely the fuckup at the end of the opening prelude :laughing:

You know, I think the value of this perf is in the perfs that can be inspired from it, when you do occasionally hear bits that really work at her tempi, you start to think now WHAT if someone with imagination played it at that tempo.

1 Like

Yeah that’s a reasonable position.

The problem is that this argument can also be used to quasijustify “eccentric” performances which are considerably more inept than this one.

Eccentricity for the sake of eccentricity is bad but I’m certainly glad to live in a world where pianists take risks and I applaud her balls…I wonder just how aware she is of her own eccentricity is though.
Does she live in an interpretive bubble and has never listened to any WTC recs? Just interpreting it from scratch from the score to her fingers.
If I were to play any WTC I’d definitely feel my inner ear suggesting to play in ways I’ve heard from recs I love, not just a pure score approach.

Yeah, I wouldn’t be without da Ziff chopetz, that’s for sure.

Da :tm: pozz applaudz ‘her’ ballz too!

I wuz not aware dat she played da Chop balls

:sunglasses:

Also, when it comes to TONIETTES, my tranny-dar gets stumped.

I won’t say zheeyat before she sues my azz fo libel.

Da TM seniah iz already overloaded wiz da Yuja, Zlit n Alba lawsuits :sunglasses:

Yeah, Comme’s post there is about where I wanted to get with her too. It’s junk ASFAIC, and the originality in it only comes from that no one has been this clueless earlier, but since it’s so completely instinctive perhaps you’ll find some aha moments in there otherwise occluded by conventional wisdom. Cziffra was a bit like this, too, in the sense that he started anew and kept what was known about piano playing and disregarded anything known about music. But in his case you could still detect an artistic vision and a firmly held view of each work played, which I’m not so sure I can with this lady.

I don’t know, I can appreciate her as her own thing since she’s not a bad pianist - a spin-off of sorts - but as an interpretative musician she almost lands in the Emerson, Lake & Palmer category.

Personally I don’t value orginality enough to wanna go through the tedious task of sifting through all the junk for some new insight.

1 Like

hahahaha wher iz tha poll option fo “wikid m*zicality…zheeyat tech” :sunglasses: :doc:

1 Like

Actually her chop ballz are on da tube. I can’t find her bombah though, it used to be up and iirc it was a pure rape interp…

Nope, me neither.

Also why I’m leaving Gould to others. :sunglasses:

da zepp vil zay dat

diz type of perf becummah MO WIKID

da mo intimately familiah u iz wiz ztandard interpz

bazically u need da ztandard interpz to firzt tell u where da LYNZ r, how many dere r, n which lynz u MAY NEVAH CROZZ

den when u crozz dem n tiz vil feel extra wikid :sunglasses:

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!!!

da ROBBAH WIN diz thread :gold:

da zepp himzelf wuz randomly not able to verbalize DIZ EXACT THOUGHT!! :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hahahaha. Dayum.

Also comparing diz chick to da ziff randomly an insult to da ziff.

Diz chick bazically a

:dong: + :doc: offspring :sunglasses:

Haha I wuz gunna put diz option in :sunglasses:

Da Robbah rezpec

I heard the entire thing 2-3 times last year and found it quite refreshing actually.
The chop ballz on the other hand… junk. Ravel sonatine wasn’t too bad.

Ahh damn on the fence now. Just when I think she’s shit she pulls out this kind of perf though sound is sheeyat

1 Like

Sweet, n nice effect wiff da boids churpin in da background here n dere.

Yes, I liked that as well. Strange though, since that’s not how a piano sounds outdoors. It’s either an entirely different recording with nature sounds added, or (maybe more likely) she’s applied some pretty heavy post processing.