least favorite famous pianists thread

Katsaris
Volodos
Kempff
Lang Lang
Brendel
Hamelin :doc:

ha dat was pozz my boot? although I think da slapnutz also posted one which was probably better quality

i will post mine if you want

and greatest president ov all eternity.

I am re-reading some of my posts in this thread, and although I still agree with a lot of what I said, I cringe a little at how much of a dick I was.

You and Trumofo both have definitely mellowed out over the years :slight_smile:

1 Like

Mine’s changed.
It’s definitely Sokolov, whose playing I just haven’t been able to get into.
I quite like Brendel these days albeit more for his vox recordings than later efforts.
I can usually find something I like from most pianists.

1 Like

Glenn Gould - I still just don’t get it
Libetta after 2008
Michael Ponti if only because he recorded on a modified banjo
Your Mama
Pogorelich but I feel like after his wife/mom died he’s been on an extended troll of the classical music world, which I respect.

Nygeghghrhazi I like because he’s so bad but that’s something different

1 Like

So I now respect Argerich and Schiff much more these days. Argerich’s C minor Partita on DG is nowhere near as good as the recent live one from Verbier. Schiff’s Bach is a nice contrast to Gould (who remains my favourite), though his playing of a lot of other music - say Chopin preludes - is bad.

I’m not an Argerich fan but I don’t hate her playing.
And I am actually charmed by her magnetic personality (away from the keyboard). I liked the documentary bloody daughter made by her daughter Stéphanie.
Schiff is probably my least favourite of that amazing Rados class.
I think I respect him more than I like him.

tru, a random chick gave a me a scare of a lifetime and scared my azz straight tru

A bit… although he has a magical tone in some of the mazurkas.

Some people consider pianists like Hamelin and Lisitsa to be second-rate in terms of interpretation and personality, or lack thereof…

However, isn’t it even worse not to have the capability to learn the tone of music that they do, and even execute it infallibly, be it - superficial.

I’m not so sure.

For example, you can respect the and talent and dedication it takes to pull off a Ted Cruz filibuster without liking the guy’s politics. Someone without Ted Cruz’s particular skills can be more valuable to their country based on what they end up doing.

Given that the catalogue is crammed with recordings by very capable pianists, as a consumer I get much more value from people like Nojima and Volodos who perform just a few pieces brilliantly as opposed to other pianists who perform reams of rep in a mediocre way

Having a huge rep is of course impressive, but we wouldn’t care about Arrau, Gould, Richter, Gilels decades after their deaths if all their interps were always mediocre.

1 Like

yes, of course. I all said was, whut if yo rep is small because you simply take 4 years to learn a song? :blush:

Madge or Ponti, for instance …

Lisitsa has a huge rep and can learn a conc in 5 hours and go play it.

That said, I would not want to hear her in any masterwork.

Or Michelangeli. Man, I love his :brotha:

After a while though you get sick of small rep pianists always playing the same sheeyat. :orgy:

hahaha as long as it is GUD, I will cum and hear