New repertoire/programs of living pianists

Well, very few mofos n mofoettes can play with the incredible stability that does.
She’s a total pro.

Do I like all of her playing? No, but she stands out even in the highly competitive 21st century classical music market, which is quickly shrinking in Europe and America but apparently thriving in China along with the Corona Beer virus.

1 Like

Compared to nearly all the women posted on SDC, she’s a genius. Last night I watched a video her Zkri 5 which stayed on her hands. It’s amazing but that’s mostly because of the composition. About her it’s her hands, nothing about interp. Tru we’re talking highest of high levels, but what else are you going to do? For me she’s on the right side of the fence serious-wise, but skirting close enough to the BS side that I’m not interested. Maybe when she hits menopause something good’ll happen.

2 Likes

Hey, I’m pretty sure Suzu is a genius at squirting.

All joking aside, Yuja is pretty damn solid.
As a wannabe washed up semi pro, da TM appreciates da professional qualities of any pianist first - before focusing on whether or not their piano playing touched my soul or… wherever … :trump:

Da Yuja set da bar damn high for reliability, control, stamina and stage presence.

Maybe I’ll even go attend a recital of hers

Never mind, da :hui: won’t allow it.

2 Likes

Yuja’s a rock solid pianist

2 Likes

If I can’t hear her live, maybe I can order one of those.

I bet her next DG rec will be da complete Debussy Etudes?

2 Likes

I hope so on the tudes. They bring nice things out of meh pianists, with all the control and speed with that glassy mooosician backbone Yuja probably own them

1 Like

I don’t go to an - expensive - rectal of a popular pianist only because (s)he is solid, stable, professional and makes few mistakes…
From what I’ve heard and seen so far I doubt very much if I’ll ever have a "Brew"ian experience with her live.
Personally I think the program is an unfortunate mishmash of masterpieces.

1 Like

They pimp these pianists our relentlessly, to cover like the whole A-list pianist market.

Tier B is da big comp winners dat get rotated every few years.

I can’t blame any of the A-list mofos for recycling n going easy on da solo rep prep as they get whored out in 20 concertos a season

3 Likes

I don’t get this. I do NOT think she’s solid, stable, reliable etc - there’s plenty of mindless playing with her on the tube. Nor do I get how you can make that kind of classification with her. Whether good or bad there’s a ton of personality to what she does, I’ve never heard her give a boring conservatory style concert.

3 Likes

Well that’s what a couple of mofos were writing here.
Personally I’d prefer going to concerts of young pianists whom I find more interesting, musically, whose musical personalities are more attractive to me - like Debargue, Rana, Avdeeva, Eckardstein, etc.
Tis a question of personal taste, I’ve never been attracted to YW’s playing…and I agree with you about the “mindless” part.

1 Like

Well I can agree to professional in the sense that she always shows up prepared and on top of what she plays. And to stability I suppose in the sense that when she’s good there are healthy musical aspirations and a rigorous training shining through. But I think she’s very day to day, and also very rep dependent. The worst rep I can think of for her right now are things like the Liebestod, D.946#2 etc where she gets an invitation to be “emotive”. That’s when I think the teenage girl is still shining through. There are exceptions but generally I think she’s been at her best in music which distances itself from emotion, or which is explorative and searching in what it does emotionally.

3 Likes

I agree with all parts of the Yuja argument. Its hard to tell from tube stuff but live she locked in the zone right away no a second half wonder like even doc can be… Also right on the money with the sentimental stuff X. Sincere heart on sleeve pianists can bring me along through some tasteless moments but with Yuja, you can sense she knows better and isn’t bought in. I still think she’s cut from the serkin, pollini, cloth reaching for something different with her great facility. With that great memory and shrewdness wish she’d studied more with a Leon Fleisher or somebody like that. There is a good tube vid of what could of been. I forget where.

Found it. This mofo def not a fraud!

2 Likes

The only part of your statement that I disagree with.

Tiz da :ghey: teenaged boy shining thru

1 Like

Very cool Hamelin’s program about birds!

2 Likes

Hahaha, with suicide in an airplane towards the end. Tru they fly in to engines too.

2 Likes

Btw. Friend of mine spoke with Hamelin few days ago. Unfortunately, he won’t record all of the Feiberg Sonatas, just first 6 which will come out soon.

His next cd will be with Liszt & Thalberg paraphrases.

4 Likes

Fuk that’s too bad., but I figure he’ll record the remaining sonatas one day.

1 Like

I hope he’ll prepare some encores :bird::bird::
Liszt Legende 1
Liszt-Alabiev: “Le Rossignol”
Schubert-Liszt: “Hark, Hark, the Lark”
Edvard Grieg: Lyric Pieces Op.43 No.4
Henselt: Etude caracteristiques, Op. 2 No. 6 “Si oiseau j’etais”
Mompou - Pajaro triste from Impresiones intimas

3 Likes

That’s nice though!

How I hope he’ll return to the Huguenots paraphrases. I loved his Thalberg, and I don’t think anyone managed to record him in the Liszt.

Dun forget da Lark.