New repertoire/programs of living pianists

I’m hoping for Horowitz.

2 Likes

He’s so bony nowadays - bad for tone quality.

I heard on the Discovery channel he’s been seen in Argentina.

1 Like

Surprise surprise… Wang has again remade her 2020 recital program:

https://www.mccarter.org/season/2019-2020/pdps/yuja-wang/

1 Like

To me that looks like a scatter-brained program masquerading as something more than it is

I like it a lot more than what she advertised earlier. This has some logic to the structure too, even if it’s still pretty odd.

Galuppi/Bach - baroque
Chopin/Brahms - romantics

Scriabin - modernists
Ravel/Berg/Mompou - modernists
Scriabin - modernists

As I mentioned earlier today I’ve been all over late Brahms since Sokolov’s fall program so I’m delighted to see that, and I’ve always enjoyed her Scriabin. Furthermore hearing her in untranscribed Bach and Ravel/Berg/Mompou there will be fun. Best of all: no Liebestod.

1 Like

Randomly, has Trifonov played his Art of fugue program anywhere yet?

Also, has a recording ever surfaced of Levit’s Shostakovich Op. 87?

2 Likes

@Kreso can probably answer this better, but I at least haven’t heard (of) it.

I have one or two friends who have taped Levit in Op.87. I’m not sure if I asked for the recordings, but can do so if you’d like to take a look.

1 Like

I’m definitely curious, but don’t go to any trouble on my account. It’s not something I’m dying to hear.

1 Like

Program

Baldassare Galuppi C major Sonata, first movement
Bach – C minor Toccata
Brahms – Intermezzo in A minor Op. 116 no. 2
Chopin – Mazurka Op. 67 no. 4
Brahms – Intermezzo in E minor, Op. 119 No. 2
Chopin – Mazurka Op. 30 no. 4
Brahms – Intermezzo in C sharp minor Op. 117, No. 3
Chopin – Mazurka Op. 68 no. 3
Brahms – Romance in F major, Op. 118 no. 5

–INTERMISSION–

Scriabin – Sonata No. 4 in F-sharp major Op.30
Ravel – Une Barque sur L’Ocean
Berg – Piano Sonata
Federico Mompou – Secreto
Scriabin – Sonata No. 5

hmmm, pretty cool prog.

1 Like

@iamcanadian Trifonov is starting The Art of the Fugue this February.

@xsdc I would be also curious to hear Levit in op. 87, but nothing urgent…

6 Likes

this is actually a fucking awesome program haha

1 Like

glad she left the Bach… also curious how her scrib 5 will have matured now that her sound a little more complex and a hair thicker. Brahms and Chopin tho… ? I bet the berg good as well. Hope she recs then like last program, studio work not representative with this peniz.

2 Likes

Yeah, exactly. I still think of Wang as an “entertainment” type of pianist (mind you, like Horowitz for instance) so Brahms might seem like an odd pairing, but there’s also a good amount of whole grain musicianship in her which serves her well in this kind of repertoire. I’m rather more suspicious about the Chopin Mazurkas I have to say. And Bach/Ravel are complete jokers in the deck - I have no clue what she’ll do with them.

1 Like

It is an exciting time to follow wang. (Because she can go in various directions) Oddly, I often would like to see Trif and Yuja switch programs. They seem better suited to each others rep tastes… op 111 not withstanding for both ; )

1 Like

Yeah she’s at a crosspoint somehow. On the one hand there’s that whole grain “completeness” to her she’s shown in modernists and several of the German composers - on the other hand there’s the teenage sentimentality which popped up in her Chopin Preludes for instance. I’m not really worried since one is much more likely to carry in to the future than the other with a 32 year old woman, but in the meantime she is very rep dependent. I’m almost sure I would have hated a Liebestod from her today - but I am optimistic this program will show her from her good side.

2 Likes

Deffo intahrezted too, op. 87 iz on ov mah fav opussies ov all da zongz out dere

1 Like

i’m def interested in that berg son, hopefully somebody recs it

1 Like

I counted to 8 recordings of her recital program over the next few months. :yum: Unlike Volodos she does know how to pick her cities.

2 Likes

I like the Wang program, but a few nits. First half of the program, the alternating Chopin/Brahms pieces seems a little too cute. And not sure if mazurkas are the right pairings. But at least she’s trying. The second half, also not sure of the logic of squeezing Berg in between Scriabin 4 and 5 except that 5 provides a more exciting finish than Berg. Honestly, if the program were supposed to be a journey, I think the Berg would be a more logical conclusion, and not just due to chronology.

3 Likes

As you well know this is usually something we say to retards, not people earning 8 figures per annum.

‘Try again. Fail again. Whore yoself out for $$$s’ - Samuel Beckett

1 Like